FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cloning

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Bruzek
Cloning
on Oct 30, 2017 at 2:05:56 pm

So, my little one came up with a cool little short sketch idea. She wrote a script and did all the acting, and I filmed it and am now trying to edit it. The effect I am going for is her talking to 2 other versions of herself, and she wants all 3 on the screen at the same time.

I'm editing in After Effects. I've cut the clips up and aligned them so that when she talks it looks like a legit conversation (roughly, haven't actually ironed out 100% perfect positioning) and am now onto trying to have them all appear at the same time. From what I have been able to find, I can use masking to pull it off, but I have yet to find a decent tutorial on how to actually pull it off, they simply say "mask this".

Should I not have cut the clips up? I seem to have considerably more clips than the folks in the videos. I'll post the file here and hope for the best. She's really excited to show her friends so I've got til tomorrow.

11821_clones.aep.zip

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Cloning
on Oct 30, 2017 at 3:56:09 pm

Sorry, can't get the project file right now. But if you did NOT:

1) shoot with the camera rock-solid locked down, no chance of it moving even a hair for all the shots you need AND
2) turn off the auto iris and shoot manual iris only AND
3) shoot a clean plate with no one in it just to make life easier

You might as well start over again. You'll have all sorts of problems that won't be worth your time to fix.

Also, there's planning this effects shot -- what's your little girl doing when she's not talking? Does she react to the other iterations of herself? How do you know when she reacts to whom? If that's solved and followed 1, 2 & 3 above, you've got something to work with!

So if you have something to work with, it really does come down to masking as you've read. You'll have to animate masks... and to get the timing right among the layers, you'll doubtlessly want to do some time remapping.

And if this is your first foray into After Effects, you won't be able to get this done by tomorrow.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nick Bruzek
on Oct 30, 2017 at 4:06:57 pm

Thanks, I might have to re shoot, I don't own a tripod, or even really a professional camera, it was shot on my Ipad, and held steady by myself. I'm fairly familiar with After effects, I've been working with it for roughly 3 years or so, but this is the first time I've thought to do this sort of thing

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 30, 2017 at 4:56:11 pm

Oooh, ooooh, ooooh!!!!

Make darned sure you have an app for the iPad that makes it behave like a real camera! You need it! That thing shoots in a VARIABLE frame rate. That really sucks! For AE, you need footage at a FIXED frame rate.

So when you go app shopping, make sure you get one where you control the camera's frame rate, the exposure (aka iris), and perhaps even the bit rate at which you record -- for a higher-quality video file, y'know. And run tests so you know what you're doing before you shoot for real. It's worth it!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Nick Bruzek
on Oct 30, 2017 at 5:30:09 pm

Thanks again man! I usually work with a buddy of mine who has all the equipment, lighting, the whole 9, but life has kept him busy the last month or so, and I was just itching to get something done lol. The wee one asked if I could make something for her to show her friends, so I made due with what I have available

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 30, 2017 at 5:57:52 pm

Yup. The old adage, "haste makes waste" is almost never more true than when working in visual effects.

I suppose a manned mission to Mars would trump it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 1, 2017 at 6:47:16 pm

Performing all the parts in front of a blue or green cloth would have helped you immensely, as you could chromakey each layer. Shooting so that the camera is locked down and the three positions don't overlap would have made this super-simple to do with the crop tool.

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Nov 2, 2017 at 1:43:40 pm

Here's a tutorial that I think gets at what you are trying to accomplish. It's a little dated now, but the concepts are the same.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]