FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question: Using Vintage TV in set design

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cale Stelken
Question: Using Vintage TV in set design
on Oct 28, 2017 at 7:04:14 pm

I hope this is the right forum. I'm helping someone with their YouTube podcast set design. I'd like to incorporate a stylish mid-century CRT TV set, having the guest's name appear on the old, round monitor. I know it's possible to have a TV serve as a PC monitor with the right cables, but let's assume the TV doesn't function anymore. Would it still be possible to project words within the old monitor somehow, perhaps gutting it and putting a PC monitor inside or something? As you probably assumed, I know very little about CRT TVs.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Question: Using Vintage TV in set design
on Oct 28, 2017 at 10:14:38 pm

This is the After Effects forum, which is software used for special effects and compositing, but since you asked...

If you gut the old TV and replace its CRT tube with a PC monitor you can run whatever image or video to it that you want. You will have lost the look of the old, rounded CRT tube though. If you're thinking about somehow dismantling the old TV and keeping the curved face of the CRT tube, forget it. If you break it, it will implode... making a neat sound but leaving lots of broken glass. If you want the guest's name to appear on the face of a non-working TV you could use a program like After Effects to composite the text onto the TV, making it appear to be displayed there. This is something done in post production... meaning, after you have recorded the episode.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Cale Stelken
on Oct 28, 2017 at 10:46:14 pm

Dang, I thought I posted in a set design forum...

Thank you, Jim. That's a tricky situation. I can't find a mid-century TV for cheap, regardless of its functionality. But if I did have a non-functioning, gutted TV, I wonder how easy it would be to get curved glass that would fit the TV frame. This could, in theory, distort the PC monitor inside. Of course I would need a monitor that matches the size of the TV frame, too...

Using After Effects on the footage in post is a clever idea, though, so I appreciate the idea. It's something worth considering. Great tips, Jim.

Return to posts index

Isaac David Quesada
on Oct 29, 2017 at 1:55:30 am

I know the easy path is just overposing the video and masking the shape of the tv set but come on, if you get the opportunity to use an actual device I donĀ“t think it would be too difficult to send the signal to be played through the vintage tv and the texture you will get be as authenthic as possible, since it will be authentic. I do VFX , my main tool has been AE but now I am reconsidering a bit and trying to do everything analog. It is worth it. There is nothing like the real thing. Go the extra mile friend, you will not regret it.

The tv set probably has a coaxial entry, I think there should be an HDMI - Coaxial device of some kind. Worst case scenario get a VCR.

Always telling stories through animation.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 29, 2017 at 6:38:07 pm

HDMI on a '60's-era TV set? No way.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Oct 29, 2017 at 8:39:16 pm

I did just such a project several years ago with multiple vintage TVs. They were non-functional. Look around your area, and you may be surprised at the collectors you might find who are willing to rent or loan the TVs to you for your project. I'm in the boonies of NH, and I was able to find a collector and, for a fee, borrow several TVs for a week. I put markers on the outer glass of the TVs, and then tracked the camera moves (using Combustion at the time, which had a great tracker). It worked beautifully.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]