FORUMS: list search recent posts

OCIO Crashing AE 14.2.1

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Moss
OCIO Crashing AE 14.2.1
on Oct 27, 2017 at 4:04:38 pm

Hello,

I'm not an AE expert. I am a Sys Admin / Network Engineer for a VFX Studio. I recently updated our PC render farm from AE 14.1 to 14.2.1. After doing so our previously working OCIO plugin has now broken AE.

OCIO was working just fine and rendering away with no issues. Now, once i open AE - it loads and has all functionality. Then create a new comp -> new layer > apply OCIO -> AE immediately crashes with "error invoking OCIO plugin". My only option is to hit OK, then AE closes.

I thought there may have been an updated version of the plugin so i re-dowloaded it and tried again and got the same results.

Now the confusing part, is i can load AE 14.2.1 with OCIO on an Artist workstation and it works just fine - No crashes.
So my next guess is that the installation (file copy to install plugin was corrupt). So i copied the working plugin / configs from the same artist workstation that its working on and copied it to the render machine - CRASH.

A little more info, is that to access these render machines. (Oh by the way its ALL 100 render machines - not just one., I RDP into them. I've another issue in the past with different software where the software did not like the video drivers being used for RDP and would crash as well. So i connected to a render machine directly via KVM (no remote connection), and the plugin/AE works! - Its only when i RDP into it that it crashes...So ok, fine. I submitted a render job to the same machine via Deadline 8 (without RDP into it...and STILL crashes).

So something is going on, and im not sure what. Im literally grasping at straws right now trying to figure this out. If any one has seen this issue - most likely on a larger scale environment your help would be appreciated.

I stayed at the studio until 1 am last night trying to solve this and im now hitting a wall. Not sure what else to do. Let me know if i left out any key piece of information that would help.

AE - 2017 14.2.1
Latest OCIO from download
Windows 7 Pro
Intel Xeon E5 machines
No GPU (all CPU power) - Supermicro Twinblade
Lots of other plugins but none cause issues - only OCIO

Thanks!
Mike

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: OCIO Crashing AE 14.2.1
on Oct 27, 2017 at 7:09:35 pm

[Mike Moss] " So i connected to a render machine directly via KVM (no remote connection), and the plugin/AE works! - Its only when i RDP into it that it crashes..."

If OCIO's "Use GPU" setting is enabled, does it help if you disable it?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Mike Moss
Re: OCIO Crashing AE 14.2.1
on Oct 27, 2017 at 8:47:45 pm

Hi,

Thank you so much for your suggestion. Right as i was trying what you mentioned one of my other posts on Studiosysadmins.com was answered and resolved the issue. Here is the response of the other post for people to reference in case it happens to them as well...

-----
This may be a GPU-related bug in the Windows OCIO plug-in that I recently fixed. I just posted a new build to the blog page:

http://fnordware.blogspot.com/2012/05/opencolorio-for-after-effects.html

-----

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]