Shape Layer Problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Henry
Shape Layer Problem
on Oct 25, 2017 at 2:58:26 pm

Hello,

I'm having problems with a shape layer.

I have a clock face, with some negative space details on it. It also has some negative space hands that spin around. I'm using merge paths, set on substract to achieve this effect. My problem is, when the hands spin, they seem to affect the manner in which the negative space details act. Please see the example.

Notice how the crescent shape seems to glitch whenever the knife moves through it? This is causing me grief. When I watch the paths alone, nothing moves improperly, it seems to be just the geometry extrusion that's glitching.

The only keyframes in the comp are the hands spinning. I've deleted any aspects of the shape layer that seem extraneous.

I'd be grateful for any advice here.

Thanks

Ian

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Shape Layer Problem
on Oct 25, 2017 at 7:57:06 pm

I'm not sure you'll be able to get around that. If you make a boole operation in a 3d app thats what you get. Since you're using a 3d engine to do the extrusion it is probably working as intended. Once your merge paths operation eats up an essential vertix and passes to the 3d engine. It has to create the faces from different starting points. Thus the aproximation artifacts IMO.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]