FORUMS: list search recent posts

How should I deal with new sections within a animation which leads to the need of adjusting already existing layers, keyframes and compositions before the addition?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nils Moody
How should I deal with new sections within a animation which leads to the need of adjusting already existing layers, keyframes and compositions before the addition?
on Oct 25, 2017 at 12:07:29 pm

Oh boy, I'm so sorry for the titlegore! I don't really know how I should phrase this...

So basically... I've made an animation but a customer/the boss wants me to add something within the animation. Like a new section within the animation which makes the maincomp longer and delays a lot of other layers and keyframes after that. Or a simple pause in the animation to adjust the whole flow of it. Now I need to carefully select the right keyframes, layers etc. and have to move them a certain amount of frames in order to create the room for it. Or need to adjust comp and pre-comp lengths etc. The work is very tedious and time-consuming.

The only work-around for this I know, and only for an additional pause within the animation, is to add freezeframes in Premiere or pre-comp the whole project within AE and add freeze frames to that.

Isn't there an easier way to do that? How can I prevent to do something like this?

I hope you guys understand what I'm talking about.

Return to posts index

Sebastian Rasche
Re: How should I deal with new sections within a animation which leads to the need of adjusting already existing layers, keyframes and compositions before the addition?
on Oct 25, 2017 at 12:36:25 pm

Not 100% sure but this script might come in handy: https://aescripts.com/elastic-comp-changer/

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How should I deal with new sections within a animation which leads to the need of adjusting already existing layers, keyframes and compositions before the addition?
on Oct 25, 2017 at 1:30:28 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Oct 25, 2017 at 3:55:08 pm

[Nils Moody] "I hope you guys understand what I'm talking about."

I'm pretty sure I do: you have a comp that animates stuff at the beginning and end, but you need to add new stuff in the middle.

I'd duplicate the current comp three times. Leave the original alone for safety's sake. One comp is the beginning, one is the middle -- with the changes in it -- and one is the end. Depending on what you're doing, you might be able to nest these three comps in a new Main Comp without much trouble. Just trim up ins & outs on the nested comps and you might be good to go.

Hey, it could happen. I don't know for sure, but based on the available information, it could...

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nils Moody
on Oct 25, 2017 at 5:02:46 pm

Both replies have been very useful. Thank you very much!

ButI wonder if there are even more techniques around for this. Both aren't perfect but I guess this is just a general downside of AE right now.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 25, 2017 at 5:41:21 pm

[Nils Moody] ".... I guess this is just a general downside of AE right now."

Depending on the complexity of the project, it's always been tough to revise completed animations... to varying degrees, of course.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 25, 2017 at 8:21:03 pm

[Nils Moody] "ButI wonder if there are even more techniques around for this. Both aren't perfect but I guess this is just a general downside of AE right now."

Unfortunately, the "elbow grease" technique is the most reliable solution.

Retiming becomes incredibly complicated with precomps, time-remapping, etc. This is a very hard problem to solve programmatically in the general case.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]