FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects Only Renders the First Frame of an Image Sequence?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee McMonagle
After Effects Only Renders the First Frame of an Image Sequence?
on Oct 24, 2017 at 12:17:02 pm

Hello, I'm hoping one of you more experienced users can help me with a problem that is causing me to tear my hair out.

In AE, I'm trying to export a sequence of PNGs to video. I thought it would be simple enough, but when I add the composition to render queue, no matter what I try AE only ever renders the very first frame only, and I get the noise indicating rendering has completed. It's a sequence of 185 PNGs, so about 7 seconds at 25fps. I have no idea why this is happening, and I've followed video tutorials exactly that seem to render fine, yet mine still only renders the first frame.

Here are my steps, perhaps someone can detect if I've done something wrong;
- Open AE, select 'Import' > 'File...', click the first image in the sequence
- Make sure 'PNG Sequence' is checked, hit 'import'
- In the project window, select the PNG sequence ("name [1-185].png]") and drag it into the "Create a New Composition" box
- The new composition plays absolutely fine, exactly how I want it to look at the correct frame rate etc
- 'Add to Render Queue'
- Render Settings are set up exactly how I want, the time span is set to 'Length of Comp', it's definitely set up as a video file and not an image etc
- Hit 'Render'

After this, it renders just a single frame as a video file (.mov, .mp4, .AVI, anything I try) and immediately ends.
I've even tried adding a null object and precomposing the two, and it still only renders the first frame. It's so annoying as in the preview it's exactly how I want it, I don't see why it's not outputting a video then.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!

Return to posts index

mark cookman
Re: After Effects Only Renders the First Frame of an Image Sequence?
on Oct 24, 2017 at 2:49:15 pm

Thats wierd, for a quickie try the alternative way to export a file, from menu>Composition> save ram preview.
Does that give you the correct duration?

To help people solve your issue: What is your setup and what version of AE are you using?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 24, 2017 at 4:32:23 pm

If your main issue is incorrect frame rate, you should know that AE defaults to assigning 30 frames/sec to image sequences. At least in the USA -- I can't swear by that for other spots in the world. To correct it, highlight the footage in the project window and go File>Interpret>Main and reassign the proper frame rate. Then drag onto the Make Comp icon at the bottom of the project window.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 24, 2017 at 4:57:05 pm

Can you post some screenshots of these steps, showing your entire UI along the way?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]