FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Lock" Precomp?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler Ammons
"Lock" Precomp?
on Oct 22, 2017 at 12:25:40 am

Hi! I was wondering if there is a way to "lock" a precomp so that after effects wont continue to try to render it all over, and just keep whatever you have. For example, I am working on a 3d track with text, that I am making reflective and using an environment layer. I have about 4 shots like this, and every time I edit one, after effects has to re-render every other one which is extremely slow. Is there a way to tell ae to just keep whatever it has for the ones im not actually editing so it doesnt have to recalculate everything?

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
Re: "Lock" Precomp?
on Oct 22, 2017 at 12:34:17 am

not sure I understand. are the precomps being rendered in the scene? if you don't want them to render then turn the eyeball switch off or set opacity to 0...

Roei Tzoref
2D/VFX Generalist & Instructor
♫ AeBlues Tutorials ♫
http://www.tzoref.com

Return to posts index

Tyler Ammons
on Oct 22, 2017 at 1:05:34 am

Sorry, I mean I have 3 precomps now, each contains the extruded text, camera, light, and environment layer. But sometimes, when I make a change to the main comp, Ae has to re calculate all the raytracing for each of the text layers inside their own precomps. Is there a way to almost turn the text into a rendered video layer that Ae doesnt have to recalculate every time?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 22, 2017 at 7:02:53 pm

You can prerender those nested comps. Very handy.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 23, 2017 at 4:59:55 pm

Either pre-render as Dave mentioned, or use proxies [link]. Although people usually think of proxies as low-quality stand-ins for real footage, there's no reason why you can't use high-quality proxies. I prefer this to pre-rendering because it gives an easy switch in the project panel for turning a comp's proxy on or off; just make sure you change your render settings Proxy Use to "Current Settings" for the speed boost during render.

Speaking of render settings, if you change your Disk Cache use to "Current Settings" instead of "Read Only," you'll let After Effects write to the disk cache during renders. That makes the initial render slower, but it speeds up subsequent re-renders because Ae can fetch the complex layer-frames from the disk cache instead of recalculating them from scratch.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Oct 26, 2017 at 10:36:57 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Although people usually think of proxies as low-quality stand-ins for real footage, there's no reason why you can't use high-quality proxies. I prefer this to pre-rendering because it gives an easy switch in the project panel for turning a comp's proxy on or off; just make sure you change your render settings Proxy Use to "Current Settings" for the speed boost during render."

this is exactly what I do. with complex and heavy projects I use HQ proxies and render my project with them when I am done. and I also have current settings for all my renders.

Roei Tzoref
2D/VFX Generalist & Instructor
♫ AeBlues Tutorials ♫
http://www.tzoref.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]