FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVC1 vs VP9 (WebM) weird color range or something

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vaggelis Valassopoulos
AVC1 vs VP9 (WebM) weird color range or something
on Oct 19, 2017 at 9:17:19 pm

Hi guys, and again to community.
This is my second post here, and my first time i was really helped.
But that time, is not like a help, is more like an opinion exchange.

Recently i wrote a lyrics video in AE, and after finish it, i added to render queque (CS6, win 7), and exported as .mov container, H.264 codec, 8.000kbps, keyframe every 90 frames, audio AAC, 192kbps, 48.000Khz, Best settings (without a touch the last one) Thats almost always my settings when i export a video in my old PC, in CS6, basically, thats my mainly settings for every video. never mind.
to get into subject. My lyric video was a white backgrounded, and many many black Texts from the start till the end. Simple.
I export it and right away i uploaded to YTB (as that's was my purpose from beginning). I uploaded via Firefox (thats my main browser).
When the upload and processing by YTB was done, i clicked it to check it, with a completely disappointment. The white became smthing like gray.. and looks awful.
After a little research on some other google forums (only few references about the same problem, which is a big deal), i found that if you play the video through Chrome, you'll get a pretty good white as the original background. And that was true. I checked it right away.
I also check other white videos (1 hour of white background) EVEN the apple videos with white backgrounds, on FF looked gray a little, ( a lot for me) in chrome a pretty pretty good white.
I found that chrome (in statistics) gets the VP9 version of video, instead of Firefox gets AVC1.640028.. also on other videos the same..
I looked in FF about:config and found "media.mediasource.webm.enabled" set to "FALSE" by default....
I right away turn it true, and hard refreshed the page, now firefox gets also VP9, with pretty good white same as chrome.
BUT, the weird weid to me is that the exported video the original one (in my computer) (both .mp4, and .mov versions) and also the downloaded versions (from external site) the youtube files the .mp4 in WMP plays fine as it should for whites. and in VLC plays awful like gray in FF..
here is the video to test it out yourselfs.

I found something about RGB->YUV conversion (from 0-255 to 16-2xx) smthing is that matter?
I never found this setting on export?
Could you please someone have an real explenation to me about that phenomeno?

Thank you very much..

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AVC1 vs VP9 (WebM) weird color range or something
on Oct 19, 2017 at 11:52:21 pm

There is a hard fact you must know, and it is that your carefully-made video will always look different when you put it out into the world. There is nothing you can do about it. Every kind of viewer will display your video a little bit differently.

This has been making people crazy for a long time. But the only thing you can do is to make sure that you are satisfied with your video when you are finished making it. After that, it will look different.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]