FORUMS: list search recent posts

Infinite White BG Question...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerry Cast
Infinite White BG Question...
on Oct 19, 2017 at 2:37:13 pm

Hi. I'm shooting a narrator against a 9 ft. wide, pure white background, and if I don't turn the XF100 sideways, I can't get the full body shot, head to toe. But when I do turn the camera sideways to fix that, in post I don't have enough white on each side as I can see the light stands. To add white to the sides, my idea was to insert a video track using a color matte, use the eyedropper to try to sample the white, draw a mask around the subject and then feather the mask. It "sort of" looks ok, but the white doesn't exactly match if you look very closely. I'm wondering if I'm doing this correctly or if there's a better way. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Johnny H
Re: Infinite White BG Question...
on Oct 19, 2017 at 2:54:21 pm

I would shoot a "plate" and use that to fill the other sides. Flip them on both sides so the same edge is matching the middle shot with the person. To make a "plate" basically shoot the same scene without the person and nothing else. Just the white background.

John Hudson
Bright Light Visual Communications

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 19, 2017 at 3:04:51 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Oct 19, 2017 at 4:28:20 pm

Is it a locked-down shot? Was it shot with a fixed iris setting and not auto-iris?

If so, and if the subject walked into the shot -- even if just to be talked into position -- you can use time remapping to create stills and build a full-screen clean plate. Then you can mask around the real shot, adding a bit of feather. If the position of the hot spot doesn't match up from side to side, just duplicate the clean plate and flip them horizontally to make a better match.

BUT -- We could offer much better help if you post a screen shot so we know what you're up against.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gerry Cast
on Oct 20, 2017 at 4:04:31 pm

Thanks Dave, yes, locked down and not auto-iris. Wow, this sounds great and I can't believe that I didn't think of it. I'll try it and let you all know. Sorry, I didn't have a screen shot because the studio is in a different location from my home and I haven't been there. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Gerry Cast
on Oct 20, 2017 at 4:01:39 pm

Thanks Johnny. I'll try that. Great!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]