CC Environment and Skydome issue.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samuel Triplett
CC Environment and Skydome issue.
on Oct 14, 2017 at 11:24:07 am

Hello,

Running CC 2017 AE.

I'm trying to make an intro for a video series where I simulate that I'm holding the camera in a selfie with my arm outstretched, and spinning in circles, while behind me there are 5-10 different locations that I'm in front of. While searching how to do something like this, I came upon a script over at aescripts called Skydome. Watched their personal tutorial, and a tutorial by a guy Fenix Motion Graphics on youtube. Both of them made the script look extremely straight forward.

You make a camera, make a text layer 3D, then after selecting the camera, open up the scrip and you have a new skydome background comp where you can place your hdri or jpg into.

The execution has your POV being inside of a sphere, so as the camera pans, its like you're looking around a 3D landscape, which is exactly what I need.

However, whenever I open the script, my POV is outside of the sphere, and no matter where I move the camera, Z space, zoom, any of that, I'm still outside of the sphere.

Here's what his looks like:

and here's what I keep getting:

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong to never be able to get my perspective inside the sphere?

The script makes a CC Sphere. Should I be trying to use CC Environment? I put that effect onto it and things went a little crazy, but didn't really get any closer to fixing the issue.

Thanks for any help, and thank you for reading!

Return to posts index

Leopoldo Perizzolo
Re: CC Environment and Skydome issue.
on Oct 14, 2017 at 3:09:23 pm

A link to the tutorial would be useful. Try increasing the radius a lot and switch the render mode of the effect from "Full" to "Inside".

Leopy

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 16, 2017 at 10:21:42 am

[Leopoldo Perizzolo] "A link to the tutorial would be useful. Try increasing the radius a lot and switch the render mode of the effect from "Full" to "Inside"."

I agree. It looks like you're working in a 4K comp, and perhaps the script hard-codes the radius value for smaller resolutions.

(That said, CC Environment should work, too!)

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Samuel Triplett
on Oct 16, 2017 at 1:10:17 pm

I tried CC Environment while using this script and it got super crazy.

I tried CC Environment on its own....and I def don't understand how to use it.

I'm not using a "standard" HDRI environment photo. I'm taking a bunch of street level photos, making them into one long strip, similar to a panorama (but each is a different landmark) and then zooming into the inside of the sphere close enough to where you don't see any of the North and South, only a small band on the equator where my photos are in view, and putting a video of myself on top of that to simulate that im spinning around selfie-videoing, while the "location" consistently changes.

CC Environment I'll be researching more once i'm done with this project, then just put more time into my youtube tutorial watching!

Return to posts index

Samuel Triplett
on Oct 16, 2017 at 1:07:01 pm

Your suggestion worked perfectly.

Didn't link the original tutorial since I'm new here, wasn't sure if external links would be considered trying to promote or advertise, so avoided it.

In the end what i needed to do:
Switch to only render inside, increase the render ambiance (otherwise it would only show half the sphere) and make the radius massive, and then zoom in. It should be good to go now.

Only thing that still bugs me is how both the tutorials i saw on youtube:

both start with the dome already being perfect, and not needing to make the adjustments i did.

So maybe since they're both older, it would default that way in previous versions of AE, or my settings are just trash haha.

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]