FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does any one know a MPEG Streamclip software that can convert a 10000px by 96px .mov to .mp4?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
vicky lu
Does any one know a MPEG Streamclip software that can convert a 10000px by 96px .mov to .mp4?
on Oct 13, 2017 at 8:54:51 pm

Hi, guys:

Newbie here. I've been working on some LED ribbon animation for stadiums. These ribbon animation is usually a long narrow strip. Since After Effects can only render these into .mov format, I'm looking for a file format conversion software that can turn the long strip of .mov file into a .mp4 file. I got wind that there might be a MPEG Streamclip software that can do the job, but I haven't been able to find one yet. In fact, I am just looking for any software that will accomplish this task. Please let me know if you have any info that can point me to the right direction.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Does any one know a MPEG Streamclip software that can convert a 10000px by 96px .mov to .mp4?
on Oct 13, 2017 at 9:09:47 pm

How about Adobe Media Encoder and a custom preset?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

vicky lu
Re: Does any one know a MPEG Streamclip software that can convert a 10000px by 96px .mov to .mp4?
on Oct 13, 2017 at 9:43:56 pm

Hi, Dave:

As far as I know, AE can only render files smaller than 4096px wide. Is that incorrect? Even with the custom preset?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 13, 2017 at 10:12:42 pm

That is indeed incorrect! AE can handle up to 30,000 pixels wide. You shouldn't have a problem.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Oct 13, 2017 at 9:11:59 pm

You need to ask the delivery specification from the stadium. As far as I know there is no H264 level that will output to that resolution.

Return to posts index

vicky lu
on Oct 13, 2017 at 9:32:33 pm

Because of the dimension, the .mov file is rendered through the render queue instead of the Media Encoder. Once the rendered file is opened using Quicktime, it will be converted to a .mov.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 13, 2017 at 10:10:56 pm

Tell you what -- instead of going to lossy Mp4, Make a quicktime movie in the Animation codec. It's lossless. Then use it in AME.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Oct 13, 2017 at 11:43:39 pm

if your looking for mpeg streamclip, it's here (free):
http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-win.html

i would render the 10000x96 comp as quicktime, photo-jpeg (but lossless is fine too), bring that into streamclip and choose file>export mpeg-4. you can set the settings per delivery specs.

i have not tried to export a 10000 px wide file from streamclip, but it would be easy for you to try. after export, bring it back into ae too see if it maintained the size.

adobe media encoder can likely do the same, but i've been using streamclip for too long to switch to it...

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Oct 14, 2017 at 7:46:05 am

afaik, Mp4 is a container format that can hold a lot of different codecs, including really good ones.
Next, it's limited to 4K (Enough pixels, but not in your aspect)

I second the 'get the specs!' statement.

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 16, 2017 at 9:49:57 pm

Kevin, Mpeg Streamclip is indeed righteously good.. but if you're in the mac world, it's doomed by the next OS upgrade, which "breaks" it. So you might need to look deeper into Media Encoder just in self-preservation.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 14, 2017 at 10:18:34 am

A third vote for "get the specs." Talk to the technicians running the playback system for the ribbons. They often have specific delivery standards, and it's best to meet those exactly. You cannot just assume that MP4 is correct for delivery; in fact, the most common standard I've seen for wide ribbons and scoreboard systems is uncompressed AVI.

That said... I have been asked, specifically, to deliver H.264 that was wider than 4096 for a stadium ribbon system. While this is not allowed by the H.264 spec, it can be done with ffmpeg. In this case, please remember that playback is not guaranteed on other systems because it's out of spec.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Oct 17, 2017 at 4:14:55 am

I do digital signage for all the major sports teams in my city and I can tell you After Effects and AME can do anything up to 30K square.
There are tricky systems that only use AVI so that sometimes is a PITA for odd sizes.
I use a wide variety of freeware on the internet to do that on the Mac but on PC side I use AME.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]