Motion-tracked layer not attaching to source video in correct place

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Williams
Motion-tracked layer not attaching to source video in correct place
on Oct 13, 2017 at 1:02:05 pm
Last Edited By Phil Williams on Oct 13, 2017 at 1:05:14 pm

Hi guys,

I'm probably making an unbelievably simple error here, but...

AE CC 2015, and I'm practising motion tracking. I've got a shot of someone's face looking at the camera. As an exercise, I want to track a still frame of one eye back onto the original video.

So I've got two layers - the video on the bottom, and a freeze-frame taken from that video on top. I've drawn a mask around the eye on the frozen layer, motion-tracked the slight head movement (using the single-point tracker), and applied it to the frozen layer.

This is where the problem is. I was expecting the still frame of the eye to be in the correct position, but it's way offset. It's moving correctly to match the slight head movements, but it's in completely the wrong position in the frame - to the left of and above the original eye.

I can adjust the position of the still frame layer with the anchor point parameters, but I don't want to have to manually move the layer back to its correct position. What am I doing wrong? What's causing the layer to be offset so badly, given that it's just a masked duplicate of the one below it?

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
Re: Motion-tracked layer not attaching to source video in correct place
on Oct 13, 2017 at 1:17:01 pm

apply the tracking data to a null, place the eye where you want it, and then attach the eye to that null.

Roei Tzoref
2D/VFX Generalist & Instructor
♫ AeBlues Tutorials ♫
http://www.tzoref.com

Return to posts index

Phil Williams
Re: Motion-tracked layer not attaching to source video in correct place
on Oct 13, 2017 at 2:04:43 pm

Thankyou! That fixed it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved