FORUMS: list search recent posts

Jerky scrolling credits

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thanh My
Jerky scrolling credits
on Oct 12, 2017 at 7:26:48 pm

Hi guys,
I've many problem with my scrolling credits. To be honest, the roll is a little bit fast, and the export at 25p (Tif sequence) is not smooth. So I've tried to export at 75fps (Tif sequence) and the results is pretty good, but I need a sequence at 25 fps...What you suggest?
Thanks!!

Hello, my name is Myca, nice to meet Everyone

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Jerky scrolling credits
on Oct 12, 2017 at 10:28:48 pm

There are two things you have to do for a smooth scroll. The first is to move the text a whole number of pixels from one frame to the next (because moving a fractional pixel will cause sub-pixel interpolation, and the text will seem to wiggle, wobble, boil or jitter). The second is to move text a relatively small number of pixels from one frame to the next (because large moves will look discontinuous to the eye).

You can use the following expression to get a smooth scroll. Alt+click the position property stopwatch, and enter the following expression:

speedPxPerFrame = 2;
currentFrame = (time - inPoint)/thisComp.frameDuration;

value - [0, currentFrame*speedPxPerFrame]

For every frame that's rendered, this expression gets the x and y positions as defined by the layer's position property, then subtracts 2 pixels from the y position for every frame that's happened since the layer's in point. You can change the speed of the roll by changing the value assigned to speedPxPerFrame.

You can also manually adjust the layer's position point to change where it will begin (just don't add keyframes to the position property -- you'll get unexpected results).

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Oct 13, 2017 at 1:13:18 pm

as an alternative to Walter's excellent expression, you could do the same thing with a native Ae preset called "Drift Over Time". just apply it to your text layer, set the Direction to 0 degrees, and the speed at your frame rate increments. so if your frame rate is 25, you can set the speed to 25/50/75/100 and so on.

in addition to this, if you still have strobing, try adding motion blur to your text, or the effect "reduce intelace flicker" which does a blur on the vertical axis (same as motion blur)

Roei Tzoref
2D/VFX Generalist & Instructor
♫ AeBlues Tutorials ♫
http://www.tzoref.com

Return to posts index

Adam Stroncone
on Oct 30, 2017 at 1:16:11 am

Wanted to chime in with my potential solution to try. Sometimes you are given a certain amount of time for credits... sometimes a very short amount of time and a very long scroll. So this is the idea when your given an unreasonable credit scroll scenario. I've discovered that rendering the scroll at a longer duration then bringing that render back in and speeding it up helps a bit with the jitter. Not saying this is a perfect fix, but it helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]