FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best feature additions since CS4?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Groves
Best feature additions since CS4?
on Oct 9, 2017 at 4:58:35 pm

I've worked in CS4 for many years. JUST went to AECC (for better or worse)

For those who have taken the journey, what do you consider the most used features added since CS4?

I'm going back to view "New features in AECS5, CS5.5, CS6" videos, but I'd still love to hear what stands out to you.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Best feature additions since CS4?
on Oct 9, 2017 at 10:14:15 pm

Here's my top 10, mainly design/mograph related:

1) 64-bit! New in CS5. Big frames need lots of RAM, and 32-bit CS4 could only address 4 GB. With CS5 and above, that ceiling is off.

2) Global Performance Cache, new in CS6. Ae is now much smarter about re-rendering frames that you have rendered before.

3) CINEWARE, new in CC. Ae and C4D now have live integration; it's much easier to work across the two applications than it was before.

4) Compositing options, new in CC 2014. You can use masks to limit effects, and you can adjust the mix/punchback of the effects on the layer with the layer itself.

5) Hi-DPI support, new in CC 2014.1. Ae now supports UI-scaling on high-res monitors.

6) Expression access to dynamic layer bounds, new in CC 2014.2. An expression can now understand how wide a text layer is.

7) Separation of the UI from the renderer, new in CC 2015 and refined considerably since then. This separation prevents rendering and the UI from blocking each other and greatly improves interactivity. I find CC 2014 and previous painful to use now without this feature.

8) GPU-accelerated effects, new in CC 2015.3 and improved in CC 2017. Some, like fractal noise, are much much faster than their CPU equivalents.

9) A native C4D 3D renderer, new in CC 2017. A considerable improvement over CS6's ray-tracing 3D renderer, which you'll note did not make my list.

10) Effect input layer options, new in CC 2017.2. To get a compound effect to see the post-effect output of another layer, you used to have to precompose it. With effect input layer options, you can choose which stage of the render pipeline is visible to the input of a compound effect. This eliminates a lot of precomposing that was only done for technical reasons to work around the Ae render pipeline order.

There are a lot of "boring" features I like, too, that are new since CS4. They don't get headliens, but I use them on a daily basis:
- The ability to save down to the previous version of Ae
- Layer snapping
- Spring-loaded folders
- Variable-width mask feathering
- Property links
- A command for moving the anchor point to the center of the content
- New layers created above selected layers
- Automatically trimmed precomp durations

And of course there are some very cool VFX-oriented features:
- the Warp Stabilizer
- RotoBrush
- Refine Edge and Refine Soft Matte tools
- Key Cleaner
- the face tracker
- Lumetri scopes
- Camera-shake deblur

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Matthew Groves
on Oct 9, 2017 at 10:39:04 pm

Walter, thanks so much. Looks like quite a jump in many ways.

I've seen some tutorials recently where people were editing mp4 footage in After Effects.

Can it be true? That was one quick way for a project fail back in CS4.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 9, 2017 at 11:44:55 pm

[Matthew Groves] "Can it be true? That was one quick way for a project fail back in CS4."

It is true. Adobe has made massive improvements in Media Core (the engine that handles media file access) and you no longer need to transcode MP4 video or MP3 audio before using it in Ae.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Matthew Groves
on Oct 10, 2017 at 1:59:47 am

mp4 footage, that's...amazing.

I don't suppose it can prevent me from forgetting to keyframe mask point...but you can't have everything I suppose.

Really appreciate all the info, sir. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]