FORUMS: list search recent posts

Having issues with LIGHTS and ELEMENT 3D in AFTER EFFECTS.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samuel Rustenburg
Having issues with LIGHTS and ELEMENT 3D in AFTER EFFECTS.
on Oct 6, 2017 at 4:54:51 pm

Hey everyone

I've been following CC for awhile now and it's been a great resource. This is the first time I can't say ive been able to find a solution or work around and Im really hitting the wall with it. Im new to AE LIGHTS so maybe im just missing something while working.

https://vimeo.com/237110652/f05a3069f3

@20 seconds you will see me skim back and fourth on a part where my light seems to turn off - even though there is no key frames or cuts in the layer. I had this issue in an earlier scene but cut it sooner to "Band Aid Fix it".

Also, you will see later in the video I have another issue where I have a light only active for 1 scene (the layers in and out points last 3 seconds). When I move the cursor before the light appears, and toggle the layer on and off (or adjust intensity) it effects the layers below it even though my light layers IN point hasn't happened yet (See video).

My first guess is it has to do with the order of the layers. But when moving them around it doesn't seem to resolve it. My second guess was maybe an object animates in front of it from that point on, but I've checked for key frames each layer but nothing seems to appear to block its path.

It would be great if someone could take a look and let me know where im going wrong with this. Im so close to finishing it but there's just a couple minor things with camera motion and lights that I have to fix before I can ship it. At this rate, I might have to delete my lights and try lighting my scene differently to get around this.

Thanks for your time,
Sam

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
Re: Having issues with LIGHTS and ELEMENT 3D in AFTER EFFECTS.
on Oct 7, 2017 at 3:34:43 am

In the first issue, check for keys on your light. In the left window I can see a point light jump position significantly.

I didn't go any farther than that as your 2nd problem might be related the the first.

Return to posts index

Samuel Rustenburg
on Oct 10, 2017 at 1:22:12 pm

Thanks for responding mark. I looked for keyframes but I don't have any on the light that is giving me issues. I just wanted to mention it jumps around because 1) I'm turning the layer off and on 2) I move my cursor before the light is activated to another light in a slightly different position, but when I hide the layer or adjust its in point its effecting layers it shouldn't be.

My understanding of layers is that if your cursor isn't on the layer it shouldnt appear. Maybe this rule doesn't apply to lights and no matter where the in and out points are it will effect all layers.....I cant say that's the case when other lights turn off and on when I cut in and out points.

I have another video that shows the issue of how my light is behaving that I don't understand why. I don't consider myself and expert but I have been using AE for about 10+years and consider myself Intermediate and feel like I should know what's going on here but its going over mine and co-workers heads.

https://vimeo.com/237121682/4b34958ab7

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Oct 11, 2017 at 3:51:22 am

Very strange. Hard to tell w/o actually having the entire project to dissect. Lights in AE can be confusing at times and Element can certainly get fiddly.

Probably only suggestion I can make is save a copy of your project & start picking things apart, tossing the extraneous & keep simplify the basic idea until you find what's offending. Obvious there's something in there lurking.

A thought though: Have you checked your geometry for surface normal settings? I'm assuming that's your Element object.

Return to posts index

Samuel Rustenburg
on Oct 11, 2017 at 11:23:45 am

Thanks Mark

I ended up gutting it last night (WHAT A PAIN) but it seems that I had multiple issues going on. I had one light with only intensity keyframes but it was turning off and on - ended up duplicating another camera moved it into the buggy camera and it resolved that issue. Afterwards I still had 1 light colour change in my object file - it looked like my object was going "Negative" colour mode. But nothing was on it, turns out it was my element layer. So I duplicated a previous element layer and replaced and it resolved my issue.

Looks like Im good to go, but still not sure "Why it happened" or how to resolve outside of deleting those layers. From your last comment, im curious to know more what you mean by "Have you checked your geometry for surface normal settings?" With my last troubleshooting of element im wondering if it was a texture/object setting that may have been turned on for that layer in the element 3d settings that im unware of (just getting my hands dirty with element 3d finally).

Thanks again for the help Mark
- Sam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]