FORUMS: list search recent posts

Backup methods, advice

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Lewen
Backup methods, advice
on Oct 1, 2017 at 6:22:56 am
Last Edited By Adam Lewen on Oct 1, 2017 at 6:24:04 am

Hi. Not sure this is the right forum, but Im used to this one, and the topic is so general, im not sure where to fit it...
My long time backup service Crashplan, is changing its business plan...
I am looking for advice. I need to backup my working station...
I do so by:
- using local backups manually every once in a while.
- using a cloud+local backup service that might end soon
- using Dropbox with my main work drive...
I am a small buisness situation with a lot of data to backup.

Any advice on backing up work in the general video production area is greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
Re: Backup methods, advice
on Oct 1, 2017 at 11:51:41 am

Here's the method we've used for many years, and has done us well -

After a shoot, we copy the media from all camera/audio cards to our online media RAID for editing. At this point we have 2 copies.

Next, I run a 'backup routine' that duplicates all RAID media to a backup drive in a 2-bay swappable drive enclosure. This drive always contains a duplicate of all media currently on our media RAID. Now we have 3 copies of the media just shot.

I usually also copy all camera/audio media from a shoot to a separate archive drive also in the swappable drive enclosure. I have many of these swappable drives holding all media from jobs past. Now I have 4 copies of the current media.

The 'backup routine' mentioned above also makes a current copy of the folder that the Premiere/AE project files are in, minus any preview files. It also archives the older version of the project files instead of simply overwriting them.

After a project is completed, the entire project and it's media files are archived to the original swappable drive that I copied the media to.

Of course, during the project the project files are also continually being backed up to our CC account.

At some point, when time permits, I'll also archive the entire project to a Blu-ray set. Of course, we're currently only shooting in HD - if we begin to shoot in 4k or higher, the Blu-ray archive might have to be eliminated.

Sounds a bit unwieldy, but with the automatic backup routine setup correctly, that part only requires one mouse click, and can even be run automatically.

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Oct 1, 2017 at 10:07:31 pm

And don't forget Adam - if you don't have a complete backup offsite, then you don't have a backup at all...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 2, 2017 at 12:59:18 am

I understand that you relied on your previous service. It is gone to you. I would keep 3 copies of your work, one of them off-site. It is a right royal pain to do it on your own, but if you do, it becomes a a heart-robbing, almost-daily chore that must be done to preserve one's livelihood.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adam Lewen
on Oct 2, 2017 at 12:18:30 pm

Thanks for the replies, and thanks Steve for the generous information!
I would love to hear about those swap-able backup drives. do they come with a simple piece of software? How are they connected to the PC? Can I try and arrange such method via USB3?

Regarding the off-site (i am looking for the best cloud solution, still researching...)

Thank you all.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Oct 2, 2017 at 2:34:16 pm

We've used Sans Digital's MobilSTOR towers for many years. The connect via eSATA, USB 3.0 or Firewire 400/800. There are other brands though, and some offer Thunderbolt connectivity. You simply purchase the enclosure which comes with HD 'trays' to attach to standard SATA hard drives which are relatively cheap today. As you fill the drives up, simply buy another drive and tray.

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 2, 2017 at 7:05:09 pm

Tape backups (yes, tape) help me sleep better at night.

First, the downside: tape drives are a expensive. LTO-7 drives cost around $5,000. But there are two big advantages. First, tape storage is relatively cheap. An LTO-7 tape holds 6TB uncompressed and costs about $100. Second, tape longevity and reliability is higher than mechanical hard drives. LTO offers a shelf-life of about 30 years.

You can still get new models of older standards like LTO-5 and LTO-6 for a lot less money. In general, LTO drives can write back one generation and read back two. That means an LTO-6 drive can write to LTO-6 media or LTO-5 media, and can read LTO-6, LTO-5, and LTO-4.

There are a number of post-oriented solutions, including BRU and YoYotta.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]