FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need assistance locating a plugin file inside of After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gina Miller
Need assistance locating a plugin file inside of After Effects
on Sep 27, 2017 at 3:37:21 pm

Can anyone help? I am getting this After Effects error: "Couldn't find main entry point for Picasso.plugin”. This error causes AE to crash at startup. I am using a Mac.

I was having a difficult time finding info about it so I asked someone on Youtube the exact question above. This is as close to an answer as I got, he gave me a path to it’s location on a PC but I can’t seem to translate it to Mac. Please read the conversation we had below as it explains in more detail where I am at with this problem.

He said:
Sounds like an issue with the Picasso plugin - your best bet is to contact the company you got the plugin from :)

I said:
Before I try that I would like to find the actual plugin file in the AE program files so that I can try removing it to see if it works. I had another error for a different plugin and when I located it in my plugins folder and removed it, I did not have that error anymore. I can't find this one (Picasso.plugin) in my plugins. I'd like to find out where it is so I can try removing it first. Do you remember who makes it? If I just google the plugin, I don't find anything, makes me wonder if it's a part of something rather than a plugin, unless you know different.

He said:
I can see a Picasso.aex plugin file in the usual spot - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2017\Support Files\Required I'm on Windows though so you'd have to translate that to whatever path that is on a Mac

I said:
I do have a Mac, I looked in Applications/AdobeAfterEffects CS6/Plug-ins and I also looked in Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/Plugins to no avail. Don't see a required, do you know where that would be?

--That’s where it left off, I haven’t heard back. Hoping some one here can help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Need assistance locating a plugin file inside of After Effects
on Sep 27, 2017 at 5:00:39 pm

Picasso is a third-party plugin. It doesn't come bundled with AE. Did you buy it?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gina Miller
on Sep 27, 2017 at 5:31:40 pm

I’ve bought so many plugins over the years I must have but shouldn’t it be in the plugins folder then?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 27, 2017 at 5:56:15 pm

If you bought it, it probably needs to be installed. Every software developer has its own installation method.

Or you might have to migrate your third-party plugins from an earlier Creative Cloud version if you just updated.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Gina Miller
on Sep 27, 2017 at 6:05:15 pm

Do we know where it is in my program? I'd like to remove it and see if it solves my crashing error but I can not find it.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Sep 27, 2017 at 6:05:38 pm

There are two folders (at least in windows) that plugins get installed to. If you haven't found it in the ordinary one (Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2017\Support Files\Plug-ins) you can search in the common folder (Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins)

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Gina Miller
on Sep 27, 2017 at 6:39:45 pm

I would like to know this Cassius. I am on a Mac and I looked in Applications/AdobeAfterEffects CS6/Plug-ins and I also looked in Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/Plugins to no avail.

The person I spoke with on Youtube said "I can see a Picasso.aex plugin file in the usual spot - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2017\Support Files\Required".

But he is on PC and I can't find the Mac path to that and I would like to.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 27, 2017 at 6:13:41 pm

Picasso is the codename of Ae's original ray-tracing 3D renderer (introduced in CS6).

I think you should first try resetting your preferences (hold Command+Option+Shift while Ae is starting). If that doesn't work, I'd suggest you uninstall and reinstall Ae.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Gina Miller
on Sep 27, 2017 at 6:35:50 pm

Will this remove my plugins?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 27, 2017 at 6:51:19 pm

It should not remove anything in the MediaCore plugin folder, but it might remove plugins in the main Ae application folder. You should back up first for sure!

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Gina Miller
on Sep 27, 2017 at 7:07:16 pm

Walter I am looking at this video

Is the Render Button drop down in the top right something that I could change? I can get into AE I just can't open/or create a project or it will crash. I was wondering if this is something I can change or fix in AE, however I do not see that render drop down.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 27, 2017 at 8:14:26 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Picasso is the codename of Ae's original ray-tracing 3D renderer (introduced in CS6)."

Well, now, That's a handy bit of AE Trivia. Thanks!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Gina Miller
on Sep 27, 2017 at 8:21:17 pm

I thought that the After Affects CS 11.0.4 update might help if it was a 3D render problem because of reading about it here

I downloaded the Mac update here

But then I got an error (on top of the original missing Picasso error). It said “1 rendering plug-in was not found. (Standard 3D). The default rendering plug-in will be substitutied.”

I don’t know if I had this native to CS6 (I don’t remember) but it seems like the update completely removed Ray Traced 3D. Evidence of this may be, after the update when I click New Composition I will get my Composition settings and in the Advanced tab I see Classic 3d in the drop down and nothing else. I should probably have the Ray Traced 3D option there right? By the way immediately after creating a new comp I still crash which is the same MO as before.

Is there a way to get Ray Traced 3D back (I know it’s better)? Can I roll back the update?

If my Picasso error and crashing is related to the Ray Tracing, is there a way to change these settings without deleted them? For example since I can open AE, in the settings there?

I want fix this problem but now I’ve got 2 problems.

As it stands now:

I’d like to get Ray Traced 3D back from the update deletion (if that is the case) through a roll back.

And I still need to figure out how to get rid of the Picasso error which is still crashing AE.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 27, 2017 at 8:29:58 pm

I think that your installation has somehow become damaged. These are standard plugins that ship with After Effects. They have not been removed in later versions. The Ray-Tracing Renderer is different, not better, than Classic 3D.

I'd suggest you backup your installation (specifically, third-party plugins, scripts, and any other presets that may be in the application folder), uninstall Ae completely, reboot, and reinstall Ae.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Gina Miller
on Sep 27, 2017 at 8:40:51 pm

No the Ray-Tracing Renderer was there today, but when you let me know what Picasso was, I went looking for something to help online, which was the update which removed it Ray Tracing. So that's new one that came while trying to resolve the Picasso problem.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 27, 2017 at 8:46:09 pm

[Gina Miller] "No the Ray-Tracing Renderer was there today, but when you let me know what Picasso was, I went looking for something to help online, which was the update which removed it Ray Tracing. So that's new one that came while trying to resolve the Picasso problem."

Ray-Tracing and Picasso are the same thing. The Ray-Tracing renderer is still supposed to be in After Effects, so if it's missing after your update, that's because your installation was (and still is) damaged. That's why I'm suggesting uninstalling and reinstalling. I don't think that anything else will solve your problem.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Gina Miller
on Sep 27, 2017 at 9:13:25 pm

I should mention that I had been on the boards some time ago about this. At the time I had three errors, 2 of which I eventually found in my AE files, removed and those errors stopped showing up. I only had the remaining Picasso error.

Everything was perfectly fine with AE until (now I’ll quote from my earlier post) “The only thing I did differently since this started happening was work off of my computer. I used work off of an external Quadra Lacie that has had problems so I turned it off. However I didn't have After Effects installed on the Lacie, I wasn't using the program from the drive, it's installed on my computer, I just had files on there that I would pull up to work on. So I don't know why that would cause any problems. Since the drive is down I can't test it, but I can't open a file from a stick or my desktop without the errors and then a crash.”

The errors (now singular error “After Effects error: Couldn't find main entry point for Picasso.plugin”) showed up after my external stopped working. I have a feeling if I had the Lacie running that it would work properly. However I don’t want to be dependent on an external drive to run it, which seems weird that it would do in the first place but that’s when the Picasso error started.

Is there a way to roll back the After Affects CS 11.0.4 update that I installed today so I can at least try to be back where I started this morning? To try to get Ray Traced 3D back?

If I do get the Lacie running and it works, I would like to do so with the Ray Traced 3D back and my plugins etc. in tact.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]