FORUMS: list search recent posts

Parent for Text Attributes?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean McNally
Parent for Text Attributes?
on Sep 27, 2017 at 2:22:07 pm

Hi there,

So I've got around 30 layers of text, all with different names on them (this is an opening sequence.) I'm aware that I can just set my font, kerning, etc and then just duplicate my layers 30 times and edit each text.

However, if down the line, my producer asks me to change the font, or adjust the kerning, I don't want to have to change it on all 30 layers individually. Is there a way for me to make a "master text attributes" layer that could handle changing attributes of all my layers at once? Thanks in advance.

- Sean

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Parent for Text Attributes?
on Sep 27, 2017 at 6:04:40 pm

You could do a lot of that using a "Master" layer, utilizing text animators that don't really animate -- they just hold values. Then you could pick-whip expressions on the other layers to the master layer's values.

There are a lot of text properties you can animate with a text animator. You should check them out to see if they'll work for you.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sean McNally
on Sep 27, 2017 at 6:18:21 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "utilizing text animators that don't really animate"

Pardon my ignorance here, but what's a "text animator"? Are you talking about the animation presets?

[Dave LaRonde] "Then you could pick-whip expressions on the other layers to the master layer's values."

The thing about that...I'm aware there are hidden pick-whips for Source text, but are there individual pick-whips for font, size, kerning, outline, etc? Each text needs to be individual, so the Source Text pick-whip won't help me. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Sep 28, 2017 at 2:11:05 am

text animators are what the text animation presets use to animate text, but you don't need to use a preset to access the text animator properties.

twirl down the attributes for a text layer. to the right of the 'text' property is an 'animate' menu. click the arrow next to it and select 'tracking'. you've now added a tracking animator.

as dave points out, you don't need to animate it, but now you can add an expression to the tracking amount and pick whip that to the tracking amount of an animator on a 'master' text layer. then when you adjust the master's tracking amount animator, the other will follow.

you can't get control of all text properties, and size would need to be controlled with a scale animator....

you can also simply select all your text layers and set a new font, size, line spacing, tracking, etc, and it will effect all selected text layer. of course, all text layers would need to be in one comp....

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Sean McNally
on Sep 28, 2017 at 5:59:37 am

Thanks for the informative response Kevin!

[Kevin Camp] "you can't get control of all text properties, and size would need to be controlled with a scale animator...."

I see, so you can't make a "master font" with text animators. My texts are in seperate comps. Anyone else have any ideas on this?

Return to posts index

Angie Taylor
on Sep 28, 2017 at 6:08:35 am

You can create a Source Text preset, but as well as saving the character and paragraph attributes, it will also save the text content. This means it will replace your text too. Lots of us have requested that we'd like a way to separate the character and paragraph attributes from the text content so this can be done more easily. Please add your voice to the list ☺

https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

cheers,

Angie

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angie-Taylor/118378194869002

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]