FORUMS: list search recent posts

Struggling with an AE Template

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Entwistle
Struggling with an AE Template
on Sep 26, 2017 at 9:27:28 am

Hi all,

I'm not the most experienced of AE users so I like to work with templates, adapt ideas and learn how to use the program. It's been going pretty well but I'm struggling with this one.

I'm working from a template that I've done some minor edits to and put my video footage into the placeholders. It's great and looks great. However, I only need the first 3 'scenes' so to speak. And I'd like each of them to hold longer than they currently do.

Looking at each scene I can find the transition in (https://i.imgur.com/GKJbFzi.png) but I don't see the transition out (where the frame moves to the back and the next one moves in).

This comp has a camera built into it which may be the answer and it's one of my first few times using it. However, this camera doesn't have any keyframes built into it so I'm not sure how to control it? Double clicking just allows me to change the angle and the position/point of interest never changes so I don't understand how it could be that?

Could anyone help in identifying what I'm missing here to control how long each scene holds for?

Thanks,
Joe Entwistle

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Struggling with an AE Template
on Sep 26, 2017 at 10:50:40 am

[Joe Entwistle] "I'm not the most experienced of AE users so I like to work with templates, adapt ideas and learn how to use the program. It's been going pretty well but I'm struggling with this one."

Some templates rely heavily on advanced features. This is a very hard way to learn Ae! There's a good set of Ae tutorials [link]right here on the COW by Andrew Devis that would help you understand the concepts behind the templates.

[Joe Entwistle] "This comp has a camera built into it which may be the answer and it's one of my first few times using it. However, this camera doesn't have any keyframes built into it so I'm not sure how to control it?"

Does the camera have a parent? See image:

If yes, here's one of those tutorials, all about parenting:
https://library.creativecow.net/devis_andrew/AE-Basics-16-Parenting/1

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Joe Entwistle
on Sep 26, 2017 at 11:00:32 am

Thank you so much, that's exactly what I was looking for.

On the way to learn, you may be right, I think it's a hangover from when I was first starting to learn Photoshop etc. and me and my online friends would trade around PSDs. Although at 14 I was probably a quicker learner back then ☺

Thanks again for the help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 26, 2017 at 4:53:37 pm

I'd look at that link Walter gave you. In fact, I'd look at the whole series of AE tutorials Andrew Devis did. They're really helpful, and you'll need it.

On the Adobe AE user forum, there's this guy named Rick Gerard, who's Really Good And Really Smart and who's been using After Effects since Version One. In so many words, here's his analogy for the difference between Photoshop and AE:

Learning Photoshop is like learning how to drive the family car.
Learning AE is like training for a combat mission in an F-22 Raptor stealth fighter.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]