FORUMS: list search recent posts

Font size: AE to/from PS, etc.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mel ruiz
Font size: AE to/from PS, etc.
on Sep 25, 2017 at 11:06:50 pm

I guess I must be confused about font sizes. I have specs to follow for designing comps in AE. They are given to me in Zeplin, etc.; however, when I create text according to specs, it is completely different in size. E.g., I have a mock up with text that is labeled 24pt, but I have to set my AE text layer to 67px to make it match. What am I missing? Shouldn't they match? And is there a setting in AE to switch to pt?

Appreciate any clarification!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Font size: AE to/from PS, etc.
on Sep 26, 2017 at 3:00:57 am

What are the dimensions of the comp in which the 42-point text appears, and what are the dimensions of the comp in which you're currently working?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 26, 2017 at 10:30:36 am

A point is the basic typographical unit of measure. It's defined as 1/72 of an inch. But After Effects does not think in inches. Ae thinks in pixels.

So what relates points to pixels? Print resolution, measured in dots per inch or DPI. When an application specifying measurement in points is set to 72 DPI, points and pixels are equivalent units of measure.

If you had a Photoshop reference, open the PSD, go to Image > Image Size..., uncheck Resample, then set the Resolution to 72 DPI. This will not change any pixels in the document, but it will change the way the document is measured. Your type measurements in points will now match your type measurements in pixels exactly (because we've set the DPI to the reciprocal of the size of a single point).

By the way, we can figure out what DPI settings the original designer was using when he or she specified 24pt type. A little math:
24 pt font at 72 points per inch = 1/3 inch.
66 2/3 px over 1/3 inch = 200 DPI.

This all gets a bit confusing, especially if you're not into math. Please feel free to ask if you still have questions and I'll explain as best I can!

Here's a quick rule you can use for this specific project at 200 DPI: multiply any size in points by about 2.778 to get the size in pixels. For example, 24 pt * 2.778 px/pt = 66.667 px.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

mel ruiz
on Sep 26, 2017 at 5:24:04 pm

So, the comp is in Zeplin, not PS actually. It's 318.2pt x 568pt. And I'm working on a 1080x1920 comp in AE.

Not math afraid (have a masters in it); however, it seems so wonky. I tried converting based on the 72dpi, still way too small. I think it's actually a Zeplin setting issue (https://zeplin.io/support#units) that was done incorrectly on their end. They had it as ios with density 1x.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 26, 2017 at 5:52:30 pm

Oh, sorry, I thought the first time around that Zeplin was the font! Please do disregard a good bit of what I said as it doesn't relate to your situation.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Sep 27, 2017 at 2:32:31 am

It's still good basic info though Walter and isn't always easy to look up or remember, which is why I just made myself a note of it. Always running into this issue myself between AE & AI.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]