FORUMS: list search recent posts

webm transparency???

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chechnya eto kryto
webm transparency???
on Sep 22, 2017 at 6:12:20 pm

Hi all. I have a project in which i am making animation from static psd,mostly it's frames and looped animation around them. I was exporting from AE this projects in .mov(animation,rgb+alpha) for transparent BG inside frames,but after render .mov is taking a lot of storage and i was told to export in webm. After it I was looking how to export webm from AE and didnt find any clear way to do it but i've found the way to export it from premiere or media encoder. after instilling both i tried to export in webm but BG wasn't transparent =/ So help me please, what i need to push or what i need to do exactly to make webm video to be transparent?
P.S: i was checking box with aplha chanels and other boxes with alpha word and this didnt help me.
P.P.S: i'm new to exporting issues, help please

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: webm transparency???
on Sep 22, 2017 at 8:44:57 pm

Well as I don't see .webm as an option in the supported codecs of AME. I suggest you to just export to some intermediate format (like you did with .mov with alpha) and then convert with any application of your choice that does support it. This is not an AE question as the application doesn't do what you want.

maybe search for this question in a ffmpeg forum? that codec library does almost anything to videos.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Chechnya eto kryto
on Sep 22, 2017 at 8:56:22 pm

Thnaks for reply.
I tried to export in .mov and then to convert in .webm and but main problem is transparency that I need 100%

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Sep 22, 2017 at 10:47:03 pm

you need to use a codec that supports transparency (an alpha channel).

if webm doesn't support an alpha channel, then you'll need to find another codec.

There aren't many codecs that support alpha channels. Quicktime supports several codecs that can have alpha channels: Lossless Animation, PNG, Pro Res 4444 (OS X only) and several of Avid's codecs (Meridian compressed/uncompressed, DNxHD) are a few common ones.

Quicktime PNG is typically the smallest file size, but it depends on how much RGB data is in each frame. When you get into lossier codecs (mpeg-2, h.264, etc.) you get smaller file sizes, but usually lose the ability to have an alpha channel.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Marc De Coster
on Sep 28, 2017 at 1:56:59 pm

Hi.

I also have to export an webm file with alpha (i fact the client asked me an mp4 with transparency but I suppose that this doesn't exist).
I've made my key in After effect, exported it in Apple Pro Res 4444 + alpha and in quicktime animation + alpha
Then I've made a small investigation and downloaded a plugin for Adobe Premiere and Media Encoder.
Now, the thing is, when I export the file in a webm format with NO alpha, it is working. But when I try to do it with WITH an alpha, both Premiere and Media Encoder are crashing. And the weird thing is, though they crashed, I still can open that exported file but, again, the alpha is not in the file.
I'm using the last versions of Premiere and Media Encoder

Does anyone had the same issue?

Thanx

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]