FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flipping horizontal?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Meghan Rodgers
Flipping horizontal?
on Sep 21, 2017 at 4:51:25 pm

Hello Creative Cow! I'm trying to flip a line that I've animated so that it animates going the opposite way. However, nothing I'm doing is having any effect on the animation. I've tried unlinking the X and Y coordinates on the scale option and making X -100, I've tried going to Layer -> Transform -> Flip horizontal. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing wrong, or what I've done wrong.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Flipping horizontal?
on Sep 21, 2017 at 5:16:23 pm

How have you animated the line? Can you show a screenshot of your UI so we can see what you see?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Meghan Rodgers
on Sep 21, 2017 at 8:07:40 pm

If by "UI" then you mean the workspace, then sure lol Here is my UI.
The fourth shape with the menu dropped down is the shape that is supposed to be flipped. As you can see, I have already unlinked the X and Y coordinates, as well as made the X value -100.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 22, 2017 at 4:16:01 pm

Precomposing, as Dave suggested, is an option here, but it's not the one I would choose first. Precomposing is often necessary for technical or organizational reasons, but here, it comes at a price: complexity. Once you precompose, you no longer have access to all the properties of an animation in the same timeline. You have to move between timelines to revise an animation.

The reason that you weren't seeing a change when you tried scaling to [-100,-100] % is because scaling always happens around an anchor point; your anchor point here is the very center of the solid.

To keep these elements in the same comp and also be able to flip them with scaling, add a Null object to the comp. (By default, it will be positioned in the center). Make the Null the parent of the layer 4 solid by dragging the parenting pickwhip icon on layer 4 and selecting the Null layer. Now, you can adjust the scale of the null itself. All the children of the null will transform around the null itself.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 21, 2017 at 5:35:34 pm

I would precompose the line, making sure to move all attributes. Then I would use the Scale property to change the horizontal scale to -100. Make sure to un-link horizontal & vertical scale first.

If we're talkin' 2D, it ought to work like a charm.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Meghan Rodgers
on Sep 21, 2017 at 8:08:35 pm

What do you mean by "making sure to move all attributes"? Sorry, like I said, I'm super new and still figuring it all out.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 21, 2017 at 10:07:59 pm

Highlight the layer. Right-click on it and select Precompose. You'll see what I mean.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Meghan Rodgers
on Sep 22, 2017 at 4:39:09 am

It took a few tries, but I finally figured out what you meant, and I got it to work! Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]