FORUMS: list search recent posts

70's and 80's film emulation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Harries
70's and 80's film emulation
on Sep 20, 2017 at 9:53:38 pm

Any idea on how to emulate this kind of vintage effect in AE:

or this one (forget about the black film scratches, I'm interested in what's behind that):

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: 70's and 80's film emulation
on Sep 20, 2017 at 10:28:18 pm

You might want to check out Red Giant's Magic Bullet Suite, or one of the individual plugins it contains.

Return to posts index

James Harries
on Sep 21, 2017 at 12:28:00 am

correction: this was the second footage
or this one (forget about the black film scratches, I'm interested in what's behind that):

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Sep 22, 2017 at 3:03:14 am

hmm, I wouldn't say they were film per say. I would say shot on high end phototube camera (for that time) and then graded magenta into shadows or red channel in curves. you can tell that the highlights were mostly skin tone line and whites somewhat still there. lumetri in premiere has a 2 way grader and curves built in. you can shoot with a tiffen diffuser for softness to get that 'look'

Return to posts index

James Harries
on Sep 30, 2017 at 10:43:36 pm

Great will give your suggestion a try.
I like the physical filter idea, any other tricks or filter to mimic the effect?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 21, 2017 at 4:24:14 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Sep 21, 2017 at 4:41:44 pm

[Jim Scott] "You might want to check out Red Giant's Magic Bullet Suite, or one of the individual plugins it contains."

That's an excellent suggestion. Color grading is a lot tougher than people think.

First you have to color CORRECT, so all the shots look the same. That could be a big job.
Then you can get on with the actual grading, and it's not just a simple matter of tweaking a couple-three parameters. It's an art form, and a good colorist gets paid The Big Bucks because it's such painstaking work, requiring a lot of experience to know what will work and what won't. With the Red Giant plugin, it's already done. But it's pricey.

There's a free alternative. AE comes bundled with Color Finesse, which also has various looks for color grading. And you can tweak the parameters if you wish.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

James Harries
on Sep 30, 2017 at 10:46:21 pm

You think color grading in Magic Bullet alone would do the job?
Don't you think something has to be done in hardware also like adding physical filters?

Return to posts index

Remus Hosu
on Oct 8, 2017 at 6:08:52 pm

Hi James,

Take a look at these color presets and overlays, maybe it's just what you're looking for:

https://bluefx.net/after-effects-templates/the-colorizer-free/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]