FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making a horizontal line pattern wrap at center of comp? (Boat wake simulation)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Gandubert
Making a horizontal line pattern wrap at center of comp? (Boat wake simulation)
on Sep 19, 2017 at 9:47:08 pm

Hi!

I have this project where I'm trying to make a boat (top view) "move" in water (it is still and centered animation-wise), with water beign represented by moving (downwards) horizontal lines. What I'm looking for is making the lines wrap around the boat when they reach it, as to simulate the "wake" of the waves. I'm struggling to find a way to make this effect using the multiple distortion effects available, but I'm not experienced enough to know what could get the job done!

FYI this might be a good visual representation (albeit mine will be much simpler) of the effect I'm trying to accomplish.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Karl Ricker
Re: Making a horizontal line pattern wrap at center of comp? (Boat wake simulation)
on Sep 20, 2017 at 2:03:01 am

You may want to try a distortion map. Make a triangle with white at the tip and gradient to black at the base. Place that at the position of the boat and use that to drive the distortion of the horizontal lines. That should get you started. Then you can adjust the map as needed or even animated it with some noise so it isn't static.

-Karl Ricker

Return to posts index

Charles Gandubert
Re: Making a horizontal line pattern wrap at center of comp? (Boat wake simulation)
on Sep 20, 2017 at 5:01:44 pm

Thank you very much! That seemed to be the best solution. I ended up making a gradient in Illustrator instead, using gradient mesh to make the displacement map, and the results are very promising!

Return to posts index

Karl Ricker
on Sep 20, 2017 at 6:04:32 pm

Great. That is where I would have made the gradient as well. You have more control over it and it is easier to adjust until you get the look you need.

-Karl Ricker

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]