Cycling multiple designs with Slider Control

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erling Thorbjørnsen
Cycling multiple designs with Slider Control
on Sep 16, 2017 at 3:18:10 pm
Last Edited By Erling Thorbjørnsen on Sep 16, 2017 at 3:26:20 pm

Hi fellow After Effects people

I hope you can help me realizing my vision.

I'm producing a Motion Graphics Template for some television content. I am very familiar with After Effects as a design tool but I am very weak on expressions. I do know Wiggle and sourceRectAtTime but almost nothing more.

My motion graphics template is going to contain 6 different designs of superbars; editor, location, music crediting etc.
I want to bake my designs into the same composition so my editors can cycle through the different variations of superbars with a slider control expression. Ian Robinson does this in this tutorial at 01:55.

How can I make this work?
I have 6 compositions, with all the different values I want my editor to be able to edit, placed Essential Graphics panel.
How do I make my Slider Control ,with value 1-6 control which design/composition that is being shown/editable.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Erling
Student
Inland Norway University of Applied Sciences

(Of course I could export all the compositions as standalone templates, but that's no fun!)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Cycling multiple designs with Slider Control
on Sep 16, 2017 at 5:19:09 pm

You know, rather than relying on Essential Graphics for this -- which behaves strangely on quite a few systems -- I prefer to keep it simple. Just make as many comps as you need, and name them for what they do. Any editor would be able to work with that!

My thinking is, "Why invite trouble?" Especially when it takes Adobe 3 or more versions to wring out the bugs in a new feature like Essential Graphics.

You can ask how to do this when you're running AE CC 2020 or so. It ought to be more reliable by then. But no guarantees on that! Adobe is no longer known for its bulletproof products.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Erling Thorbjørnsen
Re: Cycling multiple designs with Slider Control
on Sep 17, 2017 at 9:38:37 am

Thanks for your response Dave.

Yes it is very unfortunate when new glamorous features don't work as they supposedly should. But, features like these are a liberation (as long as it works) to users who use After Effects on a visual level.
I've not done After Effects for as long as many of you, but I still remember ripping my hair out years back when I tried to get Dynamic Link to work.

Though, in this particular production, giving the editors control over the color and animation duration of the superbars is very much wanted.
The superbars may change to hundreds of color combinations during the coming months.

Did you suggest to export standalone motion graphics templates for each comp or go the really safe way with video-alpha exports? Or is there another smart way?

-Erling

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]