FORUMS: list search recent posts

Random Names Highlighted in Credits.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erlinda Alaya
Random Names Highlighted in Credits.
on Sep 14, 2017 at 3:29:34 pm

HI everyone! Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

I have a donor list and the client would like a video running where random donor names appear to enlarge or highlight from a master list.

The PPT provided below is from the client showing possibilities of how they can appear. Now, I'm guessing this will need some coding to make this happen? I normally handle infographic animations but haven't tried anything on this scale...

Link to examples from client: 11685_donorslideexamplecredits.pptx.zip

Thank you for any help!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Random Names Highlighted in Credits.
on Sep 14, 2017 at 5:33:51 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Sep 14, 2017 at 6:43:00 pm

[Erlinda Alaya] "I have a donor list and the client would like a video running where random donor names appear to enlarge or highlight from a master list."

Do you have a plan concerning the method you'll use to animate this?
Does the client have this list in something other than a powerpoint file, e.g. an eps or illustrator file?
Are you limited to using a layout like the first page of that powerpoint?
How will this video play back? Will it be UHD (I hope for your sake)? HD? Off a DVD (the absolute worst)?
Will you have to loop this animation for repeated playback?

And somehow I get the feeling the client doesn't REALLY want it random. The client probably wants to recognize the big-buck donors, whose names appear in various spots on that list.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Erlinda Alaya
on Sep 14, 2017 at 6:44:52 pm

Hi there! We are not restricted to the design shown in the PPT. It was only a for a quick reference.

The client has provided the list via a long 600 line Excel spreadsheet. They want the list to be random because they don't want to show precedence over a particular donor. They would like to randomly scroll through the names once before starting the random order again. I hope that makes sense!

As for playback, this is a large production -- with an AV team -- we can give them the parameters for to do so.

The hard part for me is to know how to randomize the names and automate my file so I'm not crashing my computer or mind. Any help is appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 14, 2017 at 10:48:47 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Sep 16, 2017 at 8:51:21 pm

Ah, I think I have an idea.

I bet there's a way to randomize rows on an Excel spreadsheet... I just don't know how. But once that's done, the heavy lifting is over.

You can copy-paste it into a text editor (make sure the names are on separate lines), followed by a copy-paste into an After Effects text layer. Then you select your typeface, the size, tweak the space between lines and you're ready to animate the layer's vertical position.

I recommend doing the animation in as high a frame rate as the tech folks will allow. It will give you fewer worries about the tops & bottoms of characters looking like they're frying.

Personally, I'd start the animation with all the text off the screen at the bottom and end it with all the text all off the screen at the top. Then you can tell the tech folks to just loop it.

All in all, it's probably not as formidable a task as you may think.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]