FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggestion needed for making 2d video animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Clark
Suggestion needed for making 2d video animation
on Sep 11, 2017 at 11:02:15 am

Hello,

I had a quick think recently and realized that there's barely any 2D animation getting released into the cinema these days. There's more than enough 3D animations, and I got nothing against them, but what happened to the good old 2D video animation films?

Did Disney destroy the genre they once created with all them half hearted straight to video sequels?
Post your thoughts soon. I'll be waiting.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Suggestion needed for making 2d video animation
on Sep 11, 2017 at 1:37:54 pm

I think the pros responded to the market. Animation of almost any kind lost favor among viewers in the '70's. There was a notable exception from Ralph Bakshi, but most was limited to the TV screen.

Think about the truly brilliant animation of the previous decade. Brilliant writing, music and direction and art direction. I point to Warner Brothers' "What's Opera, Doc?", a Bugs Bunny & Elmer Fudd takeoff on Wagnerian opera. It looks the way it does because Wagner's Ring Cycle operas were being staged that way in the late '50's and '60's.

When people started losing interest in animation, a lot of these pros were reaching the ends of their careers anyways, so they just got out of the business or unfortunately expired. There was a void, and it took young animators many years to develop their chops.

...and at about that time, along came drawing on computers. It was new. It sparked viewer interest. Hardware got better. Software got better. The animators got better. 3D animation was just a logical extension of the growing animation trend. 3D has endured more out of inertia than anything else -- it's how you make animation today.

I don't think there's anything holding 2D animation back these days. It would be different. But to be truly successful, you'd need great stories, great direction, great music and great art direction. Are there any new Tex Averys out there? Chuck Joneses? Carl Stallings? Mel Blancs? That's the key to me.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Suggestion needed for making 2d video animation
on Sep 11, 2017 at 10:07:35 pm

Very insightful response Dave.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]