FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shape jumps across composition when path pasted after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sara haney
Shape jumps across composition when path pasted after effects
on Sep 5, 2017 at 3:23:55 pm

Hello, so I am having a major problem and I have been searching forums for the past day and a half trying to find an answer and haven't found any so I've resulted in making my own in hopes of finding the answer!

I am trying to have a shape move along a tilted oval path. For now, I have simplified the design into simple shapes: (The oval in this picture is just to show you the shape of the path)

Now when I paste the path that I created with the pen tool onto the position layer of the arrow shape, the arrow always jumps to the other side of the composition:

How can I make sure the shape stays in the same spot when the path is pasted on the layer?

I am a beginner in After Effects so I may be missing something really obvious

Return to posts index

Ken Teutsch
Re: Shape jumps across composition when path pasted after effects
on Sep 5, 2017 at 4:13:27 pm

If I'm interpreting your images correctly (always doubtful...) it looks like you need to re-position the anchor point of your arrow and rotate it to make it line up with the oval.

But if the plan is to have the arrow and line trace the oval, simply pasting the position info into the arrow won't give you that effect. You might be better off adding a stroke to the oval path to create the line and just pasting the position info into the arrowhead alone, then align the arrowhead to the path.

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Sep 6, 2017 at 2:47:42 am

Hi Sarah, this of any use?

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Sep 6, 2017 at 2:25:54 pm

dont paste the path onto the arrow, paste the path onto a null and parent the arrow to the null, because the anchor point on the arrow is not the same as a blank canvas with the position path

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]