FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adjusting the sound volume multiple times

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
André Kama
Adjusting the sound volume multiple times
on Aug 29, 2017 at 10:38:49 pm

Hi,

I'm a beginner in After Effects and I'm having issues with one of my first videos. I'd like to know how to change a parameter more than once without having a transition between each of these changes. This probably doesn't make any sense, so let me explain what I'm trying to do :
- I have a background music at a normal sound level (0dB).
- After some time, I would like this music to be at a lower level. I've been able to do it using the method described here :

- Now I want the sound volume to get back to its original level after some time, and using this same method, it would just get higher gradually.

How can I achieve this? I'd be happy to go into more details if it's hard to understand.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Adjusting the sound volume multiple times
on Aug 29, 2017 at 11:29:17 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 29, 2017 at 11:32:12 pm

I see you're following a tutorial. There's one thing the tutorial forgets to mention -- AE sucks at audio. It stinks on ice with audio. Really blows. It's as good with audio as Microsoft Word is.

Rather than waste time and get frustrated trying to mix audio in AE, I recommend using AE for what it's good at, which is compositing, motion graphics and effects work. Just use an audio scratch track for timing purposes. It is a LOT easier to work with the audio portion of your project in a different application. I split my audio mixing chores about 50-50 between Premiere Pro and Audition, depending on the necessities of the particular project.

And I almost never render out audio from AE, not even lip-sync audio. In my situation, the sync audio exists in 90% of the cases in PP, and it's a breeze to sync it back up again if it ever gets off.

So my advice is to just forget about that particular tutorial. You'll drive yourself nuts mixing audio in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Logan Smith
on Aug 30, 2017 at 1:40:26 pm

Hi André
You just need to add a new keyframe
Here is a basic keyframe tutorial for After Effects

Return to posts index

André Kama
on Aug 31, 2017 at 4:37:32 pm

Yes, I figured out how to do it soon after posting this thread. However, I'm considering using the solution mentioned in the first answer for my next projects. When you are using different videos shot by different people, it may be hard to keep the volume consistent.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]