FORUMS: list search recent posts

Affect numerous individual shapes with another layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson Steinmetz
Affect numerous individual shapes with another layer
on Aug 29, 2017 at 9:55:19 am

Hello,

My name is Nelson, this is my first message here, although I've been lurking for many many years for the useful advices. I'm very grateful to this great community.

I have a problem I've been looking to solve simply for quite some time... maybe years... :

How can I affect numerous individual shapes with another layer?

For example here's a "complex" shape layer made of small units that can be slightly different from to the other (made with Illustrator).

I have a "parent" layer, here a big bright glow which I'd like to animate

Here is basically the desired outcome (illustrator simulation, I hope it's clear enough)

What I'm looking for is a very simple method that would allow me to change the brightness, the scale, outline, and ideally any properties of my shapes, in a cpu friendly way (there's a about 800 shapes in my example), these changes would be controlled by the parent layer. I didn't find anything on the web and I can't handle expressions in a way light enough/ I have no clue if there are plugins that would do the job.

Thank you very much for considering my problem.

Best, Nelson

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Affect numerous individual shapes with another layer
on Aug 29, 2017 at 4:36:38 pm

I would split the Illustrator art into two layers: the first for the odd rows, the second for the even ones. Precomp your gradient layer and use two separate instances of it with Mosaic to generate rectangles based on the underlying color, use the two Illustrator pieces as mattes to reveal your custom shapes. You will need to offset one of the precomp layers to accommodate the shift that occurs between the odd and even rows.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Nelson Steinmetz
on Aug 31, 2017 at 12:00:44 pm

Many thanks. This work-around works quite well for the brightness property, but let's say I'd like to change the size of each triangles (or, rotate) in relation with the brightness of my gradient layer ?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 31, 2017 at 2:16:59 pm

Trapcode Form is a plugin that lets you manipulate arrays of particles. You can use other layers as maps to affect a number of properties.

http://www.redgiant.com/products/trapcode-form/

AE Shader Effector is a script that sets up some expressions to drive properties based on layer maps. As you mention, it will be pretty heavy, but there's an option to bake the expressions to keyframes.

http://aescripts.com/ae-shader-effector/

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]