FORUMS: list search recent posts

color correcting 3d layers (cinema 4d renderer)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Howarth
color correcting 3d layers (cinema 4d renderer)
on Aug 28, 2017 at 4:46:41 pm

hi all

having extruded some shapes to create a funky 3d pie chart, I now want to make the segments different colours.

Because I have made the pie chart self managing (if you add a new segment it is automatically squeezed in), I would ideally like to make it automatically assign a new colour to the new segment.

How I would do this in 2d is add a Hue adjustment (HLS) and drive the hue by telling it to copy the hue control on the layer above and add 50 (or another figure) to it.

It works beautifully in 2d, but doesn't work with either the raytrace renderer or the cinema 4d renderer. I assume this is similar for many of the effects?? Though I haven't tried many.

Any thoughts?

cheers

Matt

Visual tinkerer and easily distracted admirer of all things shiny! - writer - animator - digital artist

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: color correcting 3d layers (cinema 4d renderer)
on Aug 28, 2017 at 6:29:27 pm

First you should try to explain better in which application you're adding elements, and how. Also where and how are you coloring them in the first place. That ain't clear in your post.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Matt Howarth
on Aug 28, 2017 at 8:28:59 pm

Hi

I'm extruding 2d shape layers in after effects 2017, is that what you meant?

Matt

Visual tinkerer and easily distracted admirer of all things shiny! - writer - animator - digital artist

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Aug 28, 2017 at 9:11:09 pm

I see... Well, since you're using shape layers. You can change this "hue" value using an expression about the same way you'd use in the hue/sat effect. Just place it into the fill color value of your shape layer.

Since the property requires a RGB imput. You should try something like
hslToRgb([thisLayer.index/10,1,.5,1]);

this would cycle to up to 10 colors... See if you can figure it out now how to get something more into what you're going for.

Cassius Marques

Return to posts index

Matt Howarth
on Aug 28, 2017 at 9:22:29 pm

Thanks Cassius, I will give it a go and report back.

Do you or anyone else on the forum know why the effects like his don't work in the 3D renderers?

Matt

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Aug 28, 2017 at 9:33:46 pm

To be honest with you I discovered from your post that AE cc17 had this cinema 4d renderer (thus my trouble understanding your post).
I've used cinema 4d in itself for years even when I import it to AE all my objects are done in the c4d app itself.

BUT It has to be something to do with the stacking order of things. Probably effects go in a level that this "middle render engine" can't see. That's my guess...and I bet no one would be able to pinpoint why exactly.

Cassius Marques

Return to posts index

Matt Howarth
on Aug 28, 2017 at 9:39:33 pm

I'm glad it wasn't new only to me then, I discovered it this week as well.

your suggestion looks to be a good one though. It's a bit late over here (UK), so I will resume tomorrow, but it's looking promising, thanks.

cheers
Matt

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 29, 2017 at 1:08:08 am

Cassius's suggestion will work.

There are a number of things that work differently in 3D renderer comps than in Classic 3D comps. For example, you can extrude and bevel text, but you can't apply effects to them. That's because in a 3D renderer, they are no longer pixels that normal effects can process, but rather geometry with materials that react to light in the 3D scene. If you wanted to apply effects to something like that, you'd have to precompose it, place it in a Classic 3D comp, and apply your effects there.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Matt Howarth
on Aug 31, 2017 at 2:05:14 pm

thanks for taking the time to respond Walter, had I paid more attention when changing the 3d renderer, it actually gives you a list of things not currently supported.

I cheated slightly, by putting random colours on each segment, which works, but I will also try Cassius's approach. I haven't yet, because I want to do it thoroughly , so I understand it fully.

thanks again both of you

best

Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]