FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do only nulls created through the "New Null" menu / shortcut have the red box always visible?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Hauser
Do only nulls created through the "New Null" menu / shortcut have the red box always visible?
on Aug 24, 2017 at 4:01:58 am

When editing a personal project, I noticed something strange. I rarely use the create new null shortcut. I only typically use it when creating my first null in a project, as I just re-use the same null from my project panel since I hate it when it gets filled up with 100+ nulls.

For the first scene in my composition I created a new null with the shortcut (And duplicated it twice, then moved the dupes around).

For the second scene in my composition I simply dragged the null from the solids folder, and duplicated it as needed from there. Now here's the thing:

Do only nulls created with the "New null" command have the red box? Is there something I can do to drag-and-dropped nulls to give them the same kind of box, or am I doomed to a world filled with 1000 nulls?

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Do only nulls created through the "New Null" menu / shortcut have the red box always visible?
on Aug 24, 2017 at 8:04:49 am

I get red boxes regardless if they created new or dragged from the solids folder or even "brought in" from a 3d package.

Dumb question, but are their eyeballs turned off? You can go into the solids settings for each null and turn on or off preview so they do or don't show when running a caches preview. Do you have handles turned on in the comp's view options?

I thought there used to be a way to turn them to invisible unless they were selected.

Return to posts index

Ryan Hauser
Re: Do only nulls created through the "New Null" menu / shortcut have the red box always visible?
on Aug 24, 2017 at 8:54:29 am

Yup, their eyeballs are visible. I very highly doubt it's a global setting as well, since I can have both types of nulls present at once. However, I can only see the second type of null while it's selected. Even then there's no red square, just the scale dots on the sides / corners.

Return to posts index

Ryan Hauser
on Aug 24, 2017 at 8:57:18 am

Also, if I alt-drag replace one of the existing nulls that has a box, the box disappears.

(Is there any way to edit comments here? I can't seem to figure it out.)

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Aug 26, 2017 at 1:46:38 pm
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Aug 26, 2017 at 1:51:08 pm

[Ryan Hauser] "Also, if I alt-drag replace one of the existing nulls that has a box, the box disappears.
"

because you can't. you can do it from within the project panel and that could be a manual workaround to remove all the other nulls. just alt+drag in the project panel the new over the old. now you can delete the old.

[Ryan Hauser] "(Is there any way to edit comments here? I can't seem to figure it out.)
"

I hear ya. it's a bit obscure. you should hit reply on your own comment and then you will see an edit option
http://imgur.com/a/FtfwN

Roei Tzoref
2D/VFX Generalist & Instructor Ae Blues Tutorials
http://www.tzoref.com

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 24, 2017 at 8:58:06 am

You could try trashing the AE prefs file. It will get rebuilt the next time you fire up AE. It sounds like perhaps a color assigned to certain geometry is corrupted and some of that info is in the prefs file.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Aug 26, 2017 at 1:45:18 pm

[Ryan Hauser] "I only typically use it when creating my first null in a project, as I just re-use the same null from my project panel since I hate it when it gets filled up with 100+ nulls. "

that's a problem. nulls are unique in Ae and are created from the timeline. dragging a null from the project window will result in a solid, not a null.

[Ryan Hauser] "Do only nulls created with the "New null" command have the red box?"
that's correct

[Ryan Hauser] "I hate it when it gets filled up with 100+ nulls. "

you can leave it in the solids folder and forget about it like the rest of us

Roei Tzoref
2D/VFX Generalist & Instructor Ae Blues Tutorials
http://www.tzoref.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]