FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vectors in after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anas sabih
Vectors in after effects
on Aug 22, 2017 at 12:05:20 pm

Hey so I wanted to ask, aren't vectors supposed to be high in quality ?
I mean when you put them in after effects, they must keep its quality as much as you zoom into them and as much as you want their size to be, right ?
Well, that's not my case, for every vector item I put in after effects that I try to scale it up, there is a pixel in it, even when I rasterize it, (sometimes it is fixed when i rasterize it, but not perfectly though).
What could be the problem ?
Are those items not vectors, they are all illustrator files.
Am I doing something wrong or is this normal ?
If not what could be a solution for this problem?
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Vectors in after effects
on Aug 22, 2017 at 1:17:58 pm

Did you turn on Rasterize in the comp per layer?

Return to posts index

anas sabih
on Aug 22, 2017 at 1:52:08 pm

yes, I did.
it worked for a comp but it didn't work on another.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Aug 22, 2017 at 1:55:48 pm

Are they true vector files or do they contain placed raster artwork?

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

anas sabih
on Aug 22, 2017 at 2:04:09 pm

thats the thing.
I don't know, they are illustrations downloaded from shutterstock.
how do i know if they are true vectors or that they contain placed raster artwork ?
thank you

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Aug 22, 2017 at 2:48:22 pm

Pop them open in Illustrator and check the Links panel to see if any placed artwork is listed there.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 22, 2017 at 6:31:58 pm

More often than not the shutterstock eps files have to be massaged in AI to get them to perform correctly in AE. IN addition many of the shutterstock files are insanely small on the pasteboard in AI. So first thing scale them up to a reasonable size in AI - make sure to include strokes in your scale (use the scale tool and don't just drag the bounding box). If they are too small the "continuously rasterize" button can't do it's job.

Return to posts index

anas sabih
on Aug 23, 2017 at 5:30:29 pm

thank you !
turns out that size does matter LOL !
from now on i'll scale them up in AI before animating.

Return to posts index

Remus Hosu
on Aug 23, 2017 at 10:39:51 am

After Effects doesn't work with vectors, only with rasters. Most of the times the enabling of the continuously rasterize option can do the trick but you'd be better off importing the file in Ai and exporting it at as a high resolution PNG

http://bluefx.net

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 23, 2017 at 12:04:23 pm

Ok, that's just plain wrong.
I feel badly for you Remus, because under that false assumption you are missing out on some of AE's best features.
Masks, AI files, some of the plug ins, paint strokes are all vector based. While the final output is raster, internally it can most certainly take advantage and cleanly scale and rotate vector based content.
There are limits of course but then there are limits to spline resolution even in AI and a high quality RIP.

Actually I'll correct that: you can output vector when you export as a Flash file.

You are never better off importing a really big PNG - imagine a circle made of 1000 x1000 pixels - now scale that down to 10x10 pixels. It's not going to be a circle any more. It will get soft, and square or stepped. But if you use a vector circle scale that, it will get subpixel sampled when it gets down to a small size and still be as close to a circle as the resolution of your screen will allow.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Aug 23, 2017 at 2:58:49 pm

Steve is right on the vector front.

Another quick and dirty test is to open the offending EPS/AI file in Illustrator and view as outline to see which is actual vector.
I've inherited files from Corel and Xara that designers claimed are pure vector and found embedded bitmaps in them :P

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 23, 2017 at 4:42:51 pm

Good point Eric.,
You can just check the Link panel in Ai and if there are any entries in it that means there are linked raster files that will gum up the works when you bring the file into AI (as far as "continuously rasterize" that is).

I should point out one other thing - and perhaps this is what Remus was referring to.
When you get an overly complex true vector illustration - like one of those stunning portraits that look like a photograph, made of a gazillion vector paths and grads - often it is better to make a raster image out of that in AI or Pshop and bring in pixels to AE because AE will be hard pressed to rasterize all of those vectors and may even run out memory.

But again the problem with Shutterstock vectors is they often just way way way too small on the art board.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 24, 2017 at 12:07:08 am

Also watch out for CMYK vs RGB when you are in AI. Make sure to convert all files to be used in AE to RGB.

Return to posts index

anas sabih
on Aug 24, 2017 at 12:49:29 am

How do I know if the vector is CMYK or RGB, and how do I convert them ?
thank you very much man !

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 24, 2017 at 3:41:35 am

Open the file in AI and check under FILE/document color mode. You can just switch it here as well and resave or save as.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]