FORUMS: list search recent posts

create moving ink in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Paul
create moving ink in AE
on Aug 21, 2017 at 9:14:07 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Paul on Aug 21, 2017 at 9:17:34 pm

How would you create something similar to this: https://vimeo.com/81368378, but more directional?

I am looking for a way to animate brush strokes and this crazy adventurous lines would look good I think.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: create moving ink in AE
on Aug 22, 2017 at 2:10:45 am

Do you want to include the gate weave? How do you get gate weave in a RED camera? That guy needs a better tripod.

Anyway. You could use particular to have particles shoot outward and turbulence to give them some windy trails - then have the aux system in particular fill the in the trails. The lead particles will only ever be dots or sprites or small single "brushes" but the aux system lets each lead particle spawn a trail of secondary particles in its wake to make the "stroke". Its going to take quite a few to fill that in solid but you could follow up with an expanding mask of fractal noise that just fills things in so you don't have to use a gazillion particles.

You can do this whole thing with just a couple of fractal noise masks that expand and evolve - its kind of: a soft circle mask, masking a fractal noise which in turn masks another fractal noise (its the same as deathstar explosion with the radiating ring in the doctored version of episode IV - it looks like fingers of flame licking out from the leading edge but it's just moving fractal noise). Its tricky to get all the bits expanding and evolving at the right rate but you can get pretty close to that stock clip with just noise and masking.

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Aug 22, 2017 at 2:21:37 am

I've been wanting to do somethings like this for awhile now. I'm sure it's doable procedurally or with some time spent with various plug-ins, etc. as mentioned. But, that's one reason I picked up a GoPro ; I'll simply record my own on paper or cloth & build up a library. Be more organic certainly.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 22, 2017 at 2:30:40 am

I hear you. Did the same thing. Problem was while GoPros do bright outdoors well they aren't so good at graphics capture - a lot noisier than I was counting on. If you are going to do it, use as much light as you possibly can - then double it.

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Aug 22, 2017 at 3:03:20 am

My plan initially is just hi-con stuff for matte work. Probably set up some rig using the sun and an easy, simple means to replace the background. Basic stuff really.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]