FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating and animating displacement in a video/photo?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Liu
Creating and animating displacement in a video/photo?
on Aug 18, 2017 at 3:40:07 am

I saw this effect is numerous videohive projects, and I was curious about how it is done.
Here are some image examples:

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Creating and animating displacement in a video/photo?
on Aug 18, 2017 at 4:32:32 pm

I'm gonna guess it isn't an automatic kind of thing.

Assuming these images are stills -- and most likely larger than the comp dimensions -- I'd go about this in one of two ways. Both involve multiple layers.

!) Create track mattes by masking solids, thus defining how you want to split up the screen.. Then move the layer beneath it to taste. You'll need to duplicate the original image for each track matte.

2) Duplicate the original layer a number of times, mask each layer to define how you want to split up the screen, and use the Pan Behind tool to move each layer... but not the mask.

Remember that templates are almost always very complicated. If they weren't, why would anyone buy them in the first place?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Aug 19, 2017 at 3:32:32 am

Hi, you could look at the Displacement Map Effect which uses a separate black/white/greyscale image to offset sections of the original image.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 19, 2017 at 8:47:36 am

Use Greg's suggestion of Displacement effect but use a noise on another layer as the source for the diplace. If you use a large scale version of the cell noise or a few others you will get exactly this look and it can animate - no masks required.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]