FORUMS: list search recent posts

Skewing text box

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hoze Motiwala
Skewing text box
on Aug 16, 2017 at 11:09:41 am

Hey Guys,

I was trying to skew a few elements in AE. I managed to skew objects using the transform effect easily, however I couldn't use the same for a text box. I need the text box to skew not the font in it. Is there a way to move individual vertices of a text box?

Thanks for your time.

Hoze M

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Skewing text box
on Aug 16, 2017 at 2:59:02 pm

There are number of ways to make a text box. How did you make yours?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Hoze Motiwala
on Aug 17, 2017 at 2:06:29 am

Click on the text tool and pull a box where needed

Return to posts index

Stefan Christopher
on Aug 24, 2017 at 3:14:57 pm

I may have missed the point here but in case you didn't know, you don't have to drag out a text box to create text. You can just click the text tool anywhere and then you can proceed to indent the text on each line as necessary using spaces and tabs or use the indentation controls in the Paragraph window for each line of text.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Aug 16, 2017 at 8:11:47 pm

if you are talking about skewing the 'bounding box' of area/paragraph text, there isn't a way to do that in ae.

you might be able to use a position text animator to reposition the lines of text to get the 'justification' angle that you are looking for.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Hoze Motiwala
on Aug 17, 2017 at 2:07:20 am

Interesting.. Looks a bit more complex for my skills but I'll try. Thanks for that mate

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Aug 17, 2017 at 6:26:35 pm

i'm not sure how many lines you have, but i think this could work for several lines...
  • type the most lines that you think you wound need into a text layer.
  • twirl down the text layer properties, click the little 'animation' menu arrow (to the right of the 'text' properties) and choose 'position'
  • in the position property that pops up, set the x value to some thing arbitrary (maybe 200 or 400).
  • then twirl down the range selector properties and then the advanced properties.
  • in the advanced properties set based on to 'lines', set units to 'index' and shape to 'ramp up'.
  • in the range selector properties set the offset to .5.

your lines show now be staggered. to adjust the amount of staggering, adjust the x value of the position animator to line up with the amount of skewing that you need.

i thin you should be able to keep that amount of stagger regardless of the number of lines you type, as long as the number of lines does not exceed the 'end' value in the range selector -- that's why you should start with the maximum number of lines that you think you need at the beginning. you can increase (or decrease) the 'end' value, but you will need to adjust the x value to maintain the skew/stagger.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]