FORUMS: list search recent posts

Photo montage/collage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Hetherington
Photo montage/collage
on Aug 15, 2017 at 3:42:07 pm

I was looking at this today:

And noticed a lot of these floating around the circuit using various techniques. I am not willing to spend 20 dollars to dissect it, but was wondering how one would add that many images into one scene without using a plugin. Maybe a script imported them? Each image I imagine is its own comp. Also looks like various slightly overlayed effects like either a light leak gradient, anamorphic flare, and camera lens distortion/blur.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Photo montage/collage
on Aug 15, 2017 at 4:29:22 pm

[Daniel Hetherington] "wondering how one would add that many images into one scene without using a plugin"

likely drag and drop...

you could prep all the images in a single photoshop file and either export layers to files, or import the psd as a comp (which would import all the layers as separate images). making each layer a single frame and then sequencing layers in that comp would allow you to take that photo comp into the main comp, add time remapping and either setting a keyframe or use an expression to select which image/frame would be visible. make that comp 3d, add a 3d camera with DOF, duplicate the photo comp around and create your animations. you could use expressions on position and rotation to create the floating feel (really slow wiggle() should work well), or key frame it.

the light effects are footage or image elements. could be pre-rendered from a plugin, shot with a camera, or purchased from a stock site/found free online somewhere.

there's a fair amount of finesse work that to get that quality, but i think intermediate level skills could achieve something very similar.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Daniel Hetherington
Re: Photo montage/collage
on Aug 15, 2017 at 5:42:13 pm

Ah thank you. That would make sense. And yeah, the amount of finesse in this work is amazing. Worth the 20 bucks if I were to have to use it from all the hard work from the subtle movements and precisely eased key framing, color grading and lighting, and to the DOF camera motions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]