FORUMS: list search recent posts

Analyse Blur in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve diener
Analyse Blur in AE
on Aug 15, 2017 at 3:26:25 pm

Hi everyone

Has been a while since I posted something...

I was wondering if there is a way to analyse the amount of blur on one layer and simulate that exact amount of blur on another. I'm compositing a few scenes where the cam goes in and out of focus and it would be great if I didn't have to eyeball the amount of focus and use keyframes over time.

Cheers!

Steve

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Analyse Blur in AE
on Aug 15, 2017 at 3:32:48 pm

Sorry, you're limited to the eyeball method. The type of blur you use will make a difference... and AE has a lot of different blurs.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 15, 2017 at 4:10:45 pm

Can you share some of the footage?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

steve diener
on Aug 15, 2017 at 9:14:27 pm

Hi Walter

Here's some footage:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f5oc7x9mn8hateg/frame-_1.mov?dl=0

I eyeballed the original camera ball here and set some keyframes to blur the particles and the small squares. Works ok here, but as I'm going to do a few shots like these I thought there might be some plugin that does just that.

Cheers

Steve

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 16, 2017 at 6:41:47 pm

You might be able to gauge the focus by use the Find Edges effect, plus a wide-ish sampleImage() expression on its output. When the image is in focus, Find Edges will, well, find lots of edges. That'll make the image darker. When the image is out of focus, Find Edges will find fewer edges and be brighter.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

steve diener
on Aug 22, 2017 at 7:07:10 am

Hi Walter

Tried out your idea. Applied the findedges effect and the sampleimage effect to the bg layer resulting in the output colour differing from dark grey to black. Added a Adjustmentlayer with blur applied to it on top of it all (in a nested comp so as not to blur the original footage). I wasn't quite sure how to link up the output of the sampleimage effect to the blur effect, so I made a white solid above the adjustmentlayer as a lumamatte and hooked up the layer colour to the sampleimage output.

The result is a step in the right direction: the bluring of the streaks changes as the original focus goes back and forth. But I'm finding it pretty difficult to get the correct amount of blur on the adjustmentlayer. I tried using colourcorrection effects on the white layer to make the colour differ more between white and black, but haven't succeeded yet.

How would you link up the sampleimage output to a blur effect?

Cheers

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]