FORUMS: list search recent posts

MAJOR BUG/ERROR: Unable to playback preview in Ae

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Austin
MAJOR BUG/ERROR: Unable to playback preview in Ae
on Aug 15, 2017 at 2:29:50 am

So I am pretty experienced with After Effects but I'm unable to playback my preview with the spacebar, "0", or RAM preview. When I purge the disk cache etc., I am able to render it through and edit for a couple minutes before it simply will not playback in the preview window. If I try to play it back, it will render only the first couple frames before simply stopping altogether.

2017-08-143.png (In the screenshot, I am unable to move past this point in the sequence with it only rendering the first couple frames. Blue portions of the cache work fine but when cached in the green portion it simply will not work. Processing single frames have no issue, it's just in live playback. I can also hear audio as long as the frames last. Rendering without video is smooth and there seems to be no problem with that so it seems to be a problem with the cache but most likely on Ae's side. If it's a bug, reinstalling Ae hopefully should work.)

Sometimes I can playback more, but after 30 seconds it will send me back to the first keyframe I started the render in and loop me in the same cycle of playing only the first few frames. This is usually prevelant in parts of the sequence in which it is heavily edited but it does occur in nonedited media as well. I've tried messing with all of the preference settings, changing Ae cache location to a different drive, adjusting ram allocation (min and max to non Ae process's), and changing from GPU to CPU. Scripts don't seem to help fix this problem and if you ask, I have tried restarting my computer and emptying the other various cache's associated with Ae. I can't preview anything that I've done live but scrubbing seems to work with renders of single frames. Precomposing in a different composition doesn't work either. I'm running with 16gb of RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060 3gb, and an i7 processor (obviously there is enough processing power for a live preview to take place, especially since it was perfectly fine a day ago).

Any help is greatly appreciated because I am at a loss right now...

Thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: MAJOR BUG/ERROR: Unable to playback preview in Ae
on Aug 15, 2017 at 5:02:38 am

Whats your hard drive situation? Chocked full? Check the AE prefs too and make sure the scratch drive is the one you think it is. Lots of ram is great but AE, even after all these years, accesses very little of it. Adobe products love scratch drives and the ram hardly ever gets offloaded to the vid card.
Check your preview settings in the preview menu pallette - as a fellow long time user i"m always amazed at the settings an upgrade comes in with. I hardly ever use the preview pallet but with never versions I've had to kick AE into doing things the way I want them done.

Return to posts index

Brent Austin
on Aug 15, 2017 at 5:53:12 pm

I ran some tests on my hard drives and no problems arose. I did switch from my HDD to my SSD recently and that could be why this is happening, maybe Ae doesn't like my SSD? So switching back to my HDD shouldn't be a problem, it's just that my current project is at risk of not functioning properly because Ae plugins/ preset files will be in a different location. Am I safe to simply copy over the Adobe Ae source file from my SDD to HDD or will I have to uninstall and reinstall on the other drive and paste all of my plugin files manually? I've done this before but it's a pain to do and any command prompt scripts seem to be extremely tedious to mess with.

"As the seconds of your life are wasting away, you have to realize that life needs to be an adventure."
-Hanz Zimmer

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 15, 2017 at 10:23:49 pm

If the drive you are swapping isn't the root drive where your OS is and your program files then you should be fine. If you double click on one missing asset in the AE file it will ask you to find it and then it will find the others based on the original file structure.
But if you are swapping your root then thats going to be the heartache you think it is.
Can you just add a drive and make it your scratch disk for AE? It might help, but unless the SSD is wearing out it should be sooo much faster than the HDD.

Return to posts index

Brent Austin
on Aug 16, 2017 at 2:25:47 am

SOLVED!
I uninstalled and reinstalled the root on my HDD with all of my presets already been moved over. I came across the same problems I had so it wasn't a drive problem and not an Ae problem so I checked where the preview kept stopping at. I deleted the clip at that timestamp and it worked perfectly fine. I checked back on the effects for the deleted clip and RSMB was the root of the problem. It must have triggered an unknown error when accompanied with the other effects I had for the clip. All seems to be fine now, just have to be careful where I use RSMB now!

Appreciate the help!

"As the seconds of your life are wasting away, you have to realize that life needs to be an adventure."
-Hanz Zimmer

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 16, 2017 at 2:31:45 am

Do you have mp4s or H264 as source footage? Many of these highly compressed formats use virtual frames and RSMB can't deal with something that's not really there when it needs to extrapolate.
If you encounter huge lags or hangs or just hiccups then convert your source footage to uncompressed or some format that AE is ok with (like ProRes) before bringing it into AE.
Usually scrubbing the time line will let you know if you are going to have errors.

Return to posts index

Brent Austin
on Aug 16, 2017 at 2:56:37 am

Thanks, I didn't know this. I'm still experiencing some hiccups when previewing so media encoder should be able to convert well enough.

-Hanz Zimmer

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 16, 2017 at 3:00:09 am

If you have QT pro you can export out of that too - that's the fastest. (Ok, FFMPeg is the fastest but you have to use a command shell)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]