FORUMS: list search recent posts

edit offset keys

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Engelkemier
edit offset keys
on Aug 14, 2017 at 3:38:24 pm

I get this often enough. I've had some elements animate in to a specific position. In my case here I had 5 items.

My coworker eliminated one. Yay for changes. So now I need to redistribute those. Their final positions should be different.

Is there a good way to edit 4 keys at once, if the keys are at different times? At the first item, I can't see the other items.

Currently I'm marking where all the other layers are, then moving them all to the same time, moving my elements (since the keys now line up) then moving the layers back to where I marked them.
It's a solution, but it's not a very efficient solution.

I'm hoping there is a way to select all the keys I'm hoping to change, and do a sort of "change at time" kind of thing.

The other thing i was thinking of is if I opened a the composition a second time (is that possible?) then I could lock one at the time I want, then edit the other keys where the key is actually located. That way I can see the final position of all my elements, but edit them earlier in the timeline.

In this case it's 4 layers. No big deal. But I've had to do this for 10s of items before. And I'm sure that will happen again, so before I get to that point, I'd love to know if there is a better workflow. In most cases I suppose I could do an expression based on index to add space, although, in my current case that wouldn't work well because the items are text, and some of them are on two lines but I'm concerned about the space Between elements. So distribution tools don't work either. I just have to eyeball it. Too bad there's no "space between" tool, like in illustrator. (that I know of)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: edit offset keys
on Aug 14, 2017 at 4:34:58 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 14, 2017 at 4:57:22 pm

If they're all the same duration, you can use the Auto Sequence Layers command -- the in point of another layer is put just after the out point of the previous layer. Pretty slick, and a big time-saver.

Actually, I may have been wrong -- I'm not 100% sure the layers all have to be the same length. Check it out.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andy Engelkemier
on Aug 14, 2017 at 5:18:43 pm

That may be helpful to some, but doesn't help me in this case because the offsets are timed to audio. So they aren't the same distance apart. Also you can't sequence based on the beginning of the layers. You Can force time between, though, by entering a negative value in the overlap settings. That's something many people don't think of, so is useful.

But in my case it looks more like this....

Where all the key[0] are the same, but key[1] all have different values. I want to adjust all of the key[1] values only. But none of them line up. You can edit them all at once only if they line up, as far as I know.

I thought I remembered seeing a video once where someone showed how to adjust them all at once without moving the timeline around.
One other solution is to just move them at a point After all the previous keys. Then just drag that key[2] to replace key[1]. That's still not ideal though.

I wonder if it was some sort of plugin though. I just recently found Motion 2, and it's Fantastic. Just the one tool saves so much time from curve editing a bunch of things at once.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 14, 2017 at 6:07:49 pm

If the second keyframe value varies among the layers and the timing of that second value differs, I don't know of any other way to do it except one layer at a time.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 15, 2017 at 12:28:18 am

You can trim a layer (or all of them) just to get them same length, so your auto sequencing works and then put the length back to where it was.
I'm still not clear on the problem so I'll just offer some solutions and maybe one will help.
You can:
Grab all keyframes from many layers and move as a cluster.
You can Select multiple keyframes and option/drag to stretch and shrink the overal length of the grouping (I've purposely messed up my key asignments so that might be cntrl for a normal set up).
You can select multiple attributes and open the curve editor and increase or decrese values at multiple times across multiple keyframes all together
Copy and paste keyframes at different times - move the time marker incrmentally and the first keyframe of the ones in the clipboard will appear at that time with the rest layed out beyond as per the original.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]