FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera ride along 3d stroke - like rollercoaster in 1st person

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johan Andreasson
Camera ride along 3d stroke - like rollercoaster in 1st person
on Aug 14, 2017 at 10:16:48 am

Hello! So, I have this idea I would like to do. But need input before I dig to deep.

I'm making "simple" flat looking roller coaster ride where the camera is animated along a flat track and stuff happens along the way on the sides of the track.
I want the track to feel so that it is really in perspective - meaning it's much more narrow further away, and thicker as it rolls under the camera.

How would you do this? Happy to take any advice...
I'll link to a still image here:

Tank you

Thanks
~ Johan

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Camera ride along 3d stroke - like rollercoaster in 1st person
on Aug 14, 2017 at 2:19:49 pm

If you were to generate the "track" with a plugin like Trapcode 3D Stroke, you'll get a natural receding taper as byproduct of the camera's perspective.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Camera ride along 3d stroke - like rollercoaster in 1st person
on Aug 14, 2017 at 2:43:24 pm

If you are actually going to animate a camera then that track will naturally be in perspective (for more perspective use a wider camera lens). With the trapcode solution you will eventually run out of taper. I've also never been a fan of the taper in TC3D stroke. It's kinda bulbous so it may not look like your brain things perspective looks. But you can still use 3D stroke with a constant thickness and constant coloring (for the flat look). Tha camera path can in fact become the track with 3D stroke.

For rollercoasters keep in mind that when you are riding one you naturally anticipate corners and start to look around a curve before you get to it. If you let the camera just follow a spline then the feel will be very mechanical because the camera can only see along the tangent to the curve. People don't work like that, we want to know what's coming. So make sure to turn the camera just ahead of the corner and before the end of the corner.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]