FORUMS: list search recent posts

move object/layer automatically and make it a loop

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wei Gan
move object/layer automatically and make it a loop
on Aug 7, 2017 at 1:57:09 pm

what I want is to move an object/layer along the direction when it hits the edge of the screen it moves off the screen then moves in from the other side of the screen so it will look like a loop regardless of the timeline

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: move object/layer automatically and make it a loop
on Aug 7, 2017 at 4:19:23 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 8, 2017 at 1:08:55 am

Check out the Offset effect. It's not automatic, but you can render out a looping animation using it.

Why does everyone think they can do everything automatically in After Effects? Who's spreading all these lies? I want to hit them in the face with a cream pie, the rats.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Wei Gan
on Aug 8, 2017 at 3:43:40 am

Hi Dave, while offset sort of works it's not exactly what I want because as far as I know the moving speed is still bound to the time line and actual width/height of the screen, what I'd like to see is you set a variable for speed(say 5 units or pixels) then the transform goes on forever and once it hits the border it goes to the other side always with that speed, so how long is the loop and how far it travels don't really matter, I wonder is this achievable with expression?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 8, 2017 at 12:57:35 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 8, 2017 at 3:20:54 pm

The effect you want is dead simple. You don't need an expression -- screw it. Just keyframe the animation. It's simple. If you find yourself stymied by it, you need to learn a whole bunch of After Effects basics!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Remus Hosu
on Aug 8, 2017 at 5:00:49 pm

Hi Wei,

I would personally keyframe the movement once, precompose the layer and add the loop expression to it. You add the loop expression to the Time remap property. Hit "Ctrl+Alt+T" to toggle the time remap effect and add the expression: loop_out(“cycle”,0)

If you're not sure how to do it, here are the steps in detail:

https://bluefx.net/loop-animation-effects/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]