FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ideas on how to achieve this effect (text coming off of document)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Pickering
Ideas on how to achieve this effect (text coming off of document)
on Aug 4, 2017 at 4:47:31 pm

Hi there,

I'm working on a project that involves a description of how scanners can take paper documents and create searchable date. I love the concept found in this video: https://vimeo.com/69375692 at the :15 mark. I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions on how to go about creating something similar in feel. It seems like it's really just each character on a layer that is then animated in 3D space randomly (and rotated randomly). If I were to approach this I would convert a ton of text into individual words using a script, then animate the words into positive z-space, but then I would have to stagger them and so they are more random, then I also would have to randomize their z-space hover and rotation and wiggle. I think I'm over thinking this.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,
-Stephen

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Ideas on how to achieve this effect (text coming off of document)
on Aug 4, 2017 at 7:43:54 pm

Thats such a nice little piece.
I think you are on the right track but you don't have to manually break up the words and you could technically do it all on one layer (but a few more might make it easier). There are a ton of tools in the text parameters that you can move letters individually while always having the original sentence intact on one layer to either end up at or in the example to start with.

Try the range attribute combined with a wiggle and some z space displacement. If you have trouble with the z space you can always just scale the text a little and the brain assumes its closer. I'm torn about which way they went for that example - I thought it was z space but then the flickering copy effect gave a few things away and I think it was just 2D with scaling.

You might have more control with Particular but it should be doable inside AE without any plug ins.
There are also a ton of presets for this kind of thing built in that you could modify in the z and with a little wiggle.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]