FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reducing files multiple pre comps with same root files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Barrett
Reducing files multiple pre comps with same root files
on Aug 3, 2017 at 9:43:30 pm

Hi,
I have an app that i imported 4 precomp sin to from 4 separate aeps. They all the the same character (same psd as their source) it is a fairly large file, 20+ layers, so I was curious if here was a way to remove 3 of the source files and route all of the precomp a to one source to reduce the file size.. of there is a better way to go about this, please advise, I am very new to after effects (only been using it 3 days) but after searching the web for hours, with no luck, I decided to make an account and ask instead.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Reducing files multiple pre comps with same root files
on Aug 4, 2017 at 1:20:14 pm

Every imported project thinks it's looking at a different psd file even though it's the same one.

It's a pain, but you have to use the replace footage command on every comp in this new project until every comp is looking at the same psd file in the project window. Sorry.

But look on the bright side -- this is the last time you'll make this particular AE mistake.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andy Barrett
on Aug 4, 2017 at 3:28:44 pm

Awesome, thanks so much.. just curious, if it i using the same photoshop file as its footage 4 times, is it actually taking up 4 times as much space?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 4, 2017 at 4:19:44 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 4, 2017 at 4:42:09 pm

Nope! The AE project file only stores information about the file and not the file itself. So you can have a big 40 GB video file in a project, And AE actually stores... oh, let's say about 4K of file information about it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Aug 5, 2017 at 5:21:54 pm

You might want to watch this tutorial first on Managing AE Assets:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]