FORUMS: list search recent posts

ICC metadata

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Smith
ICC metadata
on Aug 3, 2017 at 11:18:31 am

I create a .mov with the animation codec. Then I create a .mp4. When open either in PS and I look at File Info, I can see under RAW Data: sRGB...

Moreover, when I use the Digital Color Meter and mouse over the colors, they are perfect both numerically and in appearance.

BUT:

1) Is there another place that ICC profiles should show up? Maybe under the Video tab?

2) The reason I'm asking is that if I play the mp4 with quicktime, or firefox, or safari, the Digital Color Meter gives different results and the appearances are different. (Actually, quicktime and safari are the same, but firefox is different.)

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: ICC metadata
on Aug 3, 2017 at 2:21:54 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Aug 3, 2017 at 2:22:35 pm

VLC should match AE with video output set to opengl. quicktime/safari aren't srgb. they are 16-235 often at a gamma 1.8.

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
on Aug 3, 2017 at 4:59:01 pm

I'm running the latest MacOS with a new vanilla external monitor that I got just so I could see vanilla sRGB. My understanding is that gamma is 2.2

And actually, safari looks the most like the source.

It's Firefox that seems too dark.

But I'm mostly interested in my first question. Is that the only ICC information? That seems proprietary.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 8, 2017 at 2:16:45 pm

[Jerry Smith] "Is there another place that ICC profiles should show up? Maybe under the Video tab?"

ICC profiles are just one of several possible systems for color management. Although QuickTime and MPEG-4 allow developers to use metadata to store ICC profile information, neither has a standard, enforced system for color management.

[Jerry Smith] "The reason I'm asking is that if I play the mp4 with quicktime, or firefox, or safari, the Digital Color Meter gives different results and the appearances are different. (Actually, quicktime and safari are the same, but firefox is different.) "

Different apps may use different decoders and color management systems, and that may yield different results. You really can't guarantee how a system will handle color once it leaves your hands.

I know that we've had a series of very specific color discussions. More broadly, what exactly are you trying to accomplish? Maybe I can be more helpful to you if I have a little more context.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]