moving keyframes of multiple layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Poliskey
moving keyframes of multiple layers
on Aug 2, 2017 at 3:17:09 pm
Last Edited By Mike Poliskey on Aug 2, 2017 at 3:20:00 pm

Hi,

I got a composition with multiple layers. Each one is simply animated the same way, but I would like to shift every decendent's keyframes by the same amount of frames. So let's say the animation of 2nd layer starts 1 second after 1st, 3rd is delayed 1 sec to 2nd etc.
Is there any way to do it as once?

Mike

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: moving keyframes of multiple layers
on Aug 2, 2017 at 3:47:55 pm

If you want to shift all the keyframes at the same time, just open the layers so you can see the keyframes and the drag select them all and the move them all at the same time.

If you want to stagger them (or sequence them) so that something happens in layer 1 for 1 second and then that same something happens in layer2 but 1 second after the first, you can select all the layers you want to stagger (select from top down and the top layer will be the earliest layer) then right click on one of the layers and choose keyframe assistant. In there you will find sequence layers. Turn that on and pick the amount of overlap you want the offset to be. So if all your layers art 5 seconds long and you choose an overlap of 4 seconds, each layer will be 1 second later than the one before.

I final way, assuming you cant move the footage in time is to just copy and past the keyframes from one layer to another - wherever you put your time marker is where the keyframes will get pasted in the next layer no matter where they were in the layer you copied them from.
Just remember to delete the old keyframes if you already have them there. You can also do this within the layer itself - copy keyframes, delete keyframes, move time slider, paste keyframes.
You can do this to multiple attributes at the same time. AE knows that position data needs to go to the position attribute and trani data needs to go to trani attribute.

Return to posts index

Mike Poliskey
on Aug 2, 2017 at 4:08:19 pm

Thanks Steven, however the point is to move not the footage. The problem is there are 50 layers so changing this maually is time consuming, especially when need to adjust again and repeat whole process. I thought there is some script maybe.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 2, 2017 at 4:10:29 pm

So just to be clear - do you want to stagger the keyframes from one layer to the next or just move them all at once and shove them down x number of keyframes?

Return to posts index

Mike Poliskey
on Aug 2, 2017 at 4:32:28 pm
Last Edited By Mike Poliskey on Aug 2, 2017 at 4:42:15 pm

I'm not sure if understood your question correctly (poor English;) but I suppose it' about staggering keyframes.
Another words - I want all rotation keframes (which are the same for each layer) to start the same delay intervals.
So on layer 1 the 1st KF starts on 1 second
on layer 2 the 1st KF starts on 6 second
on layer 3 the 1st KF starts on 11 second
and so on

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 2, 2017 at 5:00:56 pm

thats funny - on my phone that showed up with your layers sequenced but on the cow "from this" looks just like "to this".
Anyway. I think I get it.

If you follow my instructions for sequencing the layers to get each layer offset from the rest that will look after the keyframes. But it will also shift the footage so here's how to correct that very quickly.
Put you time marker somewhere so that it intersects the active part of every peice of footage in your comp. Select all the layers and then hit the multiply button on your keypad or go to the layers menu and select add marker. This will put a marker on every layer at the same spot in time. Dont move your time marker until you are done the next steps.
Then do the sequencing things I described before - this will shift all the keyframes by the same amount. So layer 2 keyframes will be x frames later than layer 1, and layer 3's will be x frames later than layer 2 and so on. But it will also shift the footage in time.
Then Select all layers (if they aren't already).
Make sure you don't have any keyframes selected.
You can use the pan behind tool (y) to slide all the layers back so that each marker lines back up with where the time indicator is (and was when you put the markers there in the first place). This won't move the keyframes of you use the pan behind tool instead of the arrow tool.
This is easier if you can initially trim all your footage to a common length (head or tail doesn't matter). And then once sequenced you can shift/snap all the layers to that point in time again without moving the keyframes.
The time indicator will also snap to the markers on each layer as you move them.

Doing what you are after is doable with a script - it doesn't move the keyframes but it just offsets the data. But it would be so much typing it would be easier to manually move them all.
The might be a script on AEscripts.com, but again by the time you get it working you could have done it by hand or by the method above.

Return to posts index

Mike Poliskey
on Aug 2, 2017 at 6:09:29 pm

I've just found valueAtTime expression which is perfect for this particular animation. I suppose in some cases your solution might be more handy, so thank you!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 5, 2017 at 6:14:55 pm

Just remember, it takes more time to evaluate an expression & apply the appropriate value for every frame than it does to simply execute the value of a keyframe and do the in-betweening.

More layers... more expressions... it can add up. Which is why I use expressions only when nothing else will do.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 5, 2017 at 6:26:08 pm

And if the expressions become a multitude, it can take forever to render. AE is horrible at stepping through layers looking at each attribute. I don't know what it is about adobe but simple things like scrolling down a list of layers (Pshop too) is so slow I think I'm on my 80 mhz Mac Quadra again.
There's a great script that helps with grouping layers and setting selection sets, but when you trigger it you can watch in real time as it steps through and turns on layers, and it aint quick - its running code for goodness sake! Whats taking so long? Even running your mouse down through the solo buttons, you can beat AE to the bottom of a 50 layer comp and still have time to take a sip of coffee before it's caught up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]