FORUMS: list search recent posts

Render Fail - Consistently at 28 frames

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lindsey Gullett
Render Fail - Consistently at 28 frames
on Aug 1, 2017 at 10:00:48 pm

I'm rendering out a large file with several different effects involved in it. The video is :43 seconds long, but I'm consistently getting a "Failed render" with no fail report at 28 frames in. I tried adjusting my timeline to render starting past this point, to see if I could bypass a potential bad frame or file, but the render is still failing at 28 frames. Has anyone had this happen to them? I'm at the end of my rope for ideas. Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Render Fail - Consistently at 28 frames
on Aug 1, 2017 at 11:14:12 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 1, 2017 at 11:20:18 pm

Wow, that's a new one! I've never, ever heard of that particular weirdness.

For the time being, try this: hold down Ctl-Shift keys (Win) while navigating to Edit>Preferences. Select "Secret". Change "Purge Every 0 Frames" to a different number -- I'm guessing less than 28. Hit OK and try the render again. If it works, great.

Other things to try:
Create a new comp, then copy-paste everything from the old comp into the new one.
Import the current project into a new one.
Using highly-compressed video? Transcode it to something lossless.
Using compressed audio? Convert to wav or aiff files.

Still no joy? Be prepared for a boatload of diagnostic questions.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lindsey Gullett
on Aug 2, 2017 at 3:03:41 pm

Thanks, Dave. Unfortunately none of these created a solution for me. I'm dreading the idea of rebuilding this project only with the "hope" that it might render in that project. I'm wondering if I should try installing an older version of AE? Would the new update be causing this?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 2, 2017 at 3:07:58 pm

What format are you rendering to? Maybe try rendering to an image sequence instead of a movie? You can always stitch the sequence back together after the fact.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Lindsey Gullett
on Aug 2, 2017 at 3:17:29 pm

I was rendering to Quicktime - Apple Pro Res, Upper Field first, 29.97 to match our video screen specs.

I just tried rendering a PNG sequence and it still crashed at 28 frames... 😐

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 2, 2017 at 4:39:43 pm

[Lindsey Gullett] " I'm wondering if I should try installing an older version of AE? Would the new update be causing this?"

How enamored are you with the prospect of lots of not-so-fun detective work?B
If not, you can almost certainly get everything done in AE CC 2015. backsave the AE AE project to CC 2015, open in CC 2015 and continue.

If you're a fan of computer failure diagnosis, you'll have to disclose a whole lot of very-detailed information about your machine, OS, third party cards, their drivers, networking (all with precise version numbers to be any help), source footage details and your project's workflow.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Remus Hosu
on Aug 2, 2017 at 6:18:51 pm

Hi Lindsey,

I think your safest bet is still with the secret menu. Make sure you have the Disable Layer Cache checked and try to set the purge value to 1. It should give you the maximum amount of memory for every frame. Here's an article on this (the video is locked but just click "read more" below it)

https://bluefx.net/course/render-in-after-effects-the-right-way/secret-pref...

Return to posts index

Lindsey Gullett
on Aug 11, 2017 at 2:15:03 pm

**Solution (sort of): After dealing with Adobe and Video CoPilot support directly, it was determined that one of my large assets that I had Twitch activated on was causing the issue. There's not really a solution to this other than just turning Twitch off of the asset. They declared that it was eating up too much RAM while rendering and causing it to fail. They said that this does happen at times. Not necessarily the solution I wanted to hear, but at least I found the source of the problem.

Thanks to those who chimed in with their suggestions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]