COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Tsutsunava
How to invert the color of a text layer with a sliding adjustment layer
on Jul 31, 2017 at 7:27:38 pm

So I'm trying to recreate the effects used in this Envato video

https://videohive.net/item/sport-life-fast-dynamic-slideshow/19632953

This is what I have so far https://gfycat.com/RichAstonishingDalmatian

What I basically want to do is to have a single text layer (selected comp) but I want it to be white on the color footage and black once the pink overlays it. Essentially, I don't want to maintain multiple copies of the text animation (or any other layer). If I change it once in one place it has to be able to cascade to all other places. So this is kind of a more of a general question and a more generalized answer would be even more appreciated! Perhaps I'm just going about this completely the wrong way.

As it stands now it stays white and I can't quite figure out how to keep the layer/comp usage to a minimum while still changing the color of the text with the pink overlay.

P.S. Yeah Mark is a crazy guy!

Return to posts index

Nick Tsutsunava
Re: How to invert the color of a text layer with a sliding adjustment layer
on Jul 31, 2017 at 11:44:27 pm

Golly, for someone who apparently hasn't been using AE for that long I did get it to work the way I described with proper use of expressions track mattes and precomping. No copies anywhere and everything cascades.

Next time you decide to reply to someone who seems to be an utter noob, realize that you started somewhere as well, just as I did several years ago. Sometimes people like me just have a brainfart and can't figure it out even with several years of experience. Thanks for nothing.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 1, 2017 at 10:08:07 am

Let me see if Ive got you.
If you precomp your text layer then anything you do to that text layer will ripple through the rest of what I'm going to describe.
In the main comp you will have your white text layer on your footage then above that have an adjustment layer with an invert effect. use a mask on the adjustment layer to control where the hard line is betwen color and pink footage (you can also use this same mask to reveal the color vs the pink overlay video).
Then pass the adjustment layer through a track matte of your prenested text layer. This way the invert effect only hits the area cropped by the linear mask on the adjustment layer AND by the text area.
Then you can change your video sources or your text and thats all you need to change - no matter where the text is the effect will hold.
That should do it.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 1, 2017 at 10:18:50 am

like this?
11558_inthepink.zip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]