FORUMS: list search recent posts

paste layer at playhead

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Jones
paste layer at playhead
on Jul 31, 2017 at 10:59:59 am

For some reason my latest update 14.2.0.198 doesn't paste layer at playhead

When I copy a layer within the composition timeline it pastes it back at the same time as the copied layer even when I have moved the time to the new in point!

When I create a new null object or colour solid it pastes correctly at the playhead time.

In preferences I have set the Create Layers at Composition Start Time OFF

I am sure there used to be an Add New Layer at Playhead preference?

This really slows down my workflow

Also dragging still media on to the composition places the layer at a random time! Whereas overlaying or Inserting media footage places it at the correct Playhead!

There is no logic to this!

senior editor

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: paste layer at playhead
on Aug 1, 2017 at 3:14:23 pm

I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but Ctrl+V (Windows) or Cmd+V (Mac) immediately followed by [ will get you what you need. That open-square-bracket keystroke will move the selected layers' start points to the current time indicator. (Likewise, close-square-bracket will move the selected layers' end points to the CTI.)

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
Re: paste layer at playhead
on Aug 1, 2017 at 3:42:20 pm
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Aug 1, 2017 at 3:44:50 pm

[Peter Jones] "For some reason my latest update 14.2.0.198 doesn't paste layer at playhead
"

this is the normal behavior. a layer is always pasted on the same place in time you copied it from, no matter where the playhead is. if you want "paste in place", use the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+V on Windows. or alternatively use the method walter suggested, or simply drag the layer holding Shift key to snap it to the playhead.

[Peter Jones] "When I create a new null object or colour solid it pastes correctly at the playhead time.
"

this is a different thing. creating new layers is controlled by the preference "create new layers at composition start time" which default to ON.

[Peter Jones] "Also dragging still media on to the composition places the layer at a random time! Whereas overlaying or Inserting media footage places it at the correct Playhead!"
this too is related the the feature "create new layers at composition start time" and not related to copy pasting.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]