FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to show detail picture layer in my time panel

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mickey johnson
how to show detail picture layer in my time panel
on Jul 30, 2017 at 6:09:14 pm

hi ☺ I'm really new to after effect, I want to try using Ae for my school project and tried to start with a free template on the internet but I notice that my time panel? are different from the tutorial in the youtube.

I want to make it like this

let me know if you can help me out on what i need to do to get these shown. Any tips for an Ae beginners will be completely great too. I'm making a photo slideshow. :)

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: how to show detail picture layer in my time panel
on Jul 31, 2017 at 1:47:08 pm

I'm not sure what you are asking here but let me take a guess.
You can "edit or cut" layers using keyboard commands.
Unlike a NLE the footage in AE stacks, so a new bit of footage is farther down the time line and sits above other layers and it steps on the footage below.
If you put your time marker over a layer and hit cntl shift D that will split the layer at that point and put the second part above the first in the stack - so that's like a cut.
You can just slide the elements in the timeline back and forth to line them up how you want with the top layer stepping on the lower layer when you want the new footage to take over. *holding shift will snap a layer to other layers end points)
There is no simple dissolve in AE like a NLE. You can do it but its messy. Let me know and I can walk you through it or you can look up the blend effect. Keyframing transparency can work but it's hard to get the roll off from one to the next. But if you are just "disssolving" from a top layer to a bottom layer this can work fine - just keyframe the trani attribute of the top layer and let it fade in our fade out covering the bottom layer.
Trimming a layer is alt plus the right and left sqaure bracket keys (the trim will happen where your time marker is). You can bring the end of a clip to where you want it by hitting the sqaure bracket keys without the alt.
You can get to the begining of a clip by hitting the i key (for in) and the end by the o key (for out)
Keep in mind when you trim, you are sitting on the last frame of video not the next frame.

For a slide show of all the same length its really easy. Just bring in all the clips you want into one big stack in the time line. Make them all the same length for how long you want them to be on scren. Put them in the order you want to see them from top to bottom and then select all, the right click and choose Keyframe Assistant and choose sequence layers. Choose no overlap and bingo a staircase of shots cutting from one to the next.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: how to show detail picture layer in my time panel
on Aug 1, 2017 at 7:02:44 pm

The layers might by "shy." Click Kilroy to reveal them, as in this image:

See here for more information:
https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/layers.html#show_and_hide_layer...

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]